mandown123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hi all

I have a aquactinics 2x250w MH and 2x54w T5 fixture.

The short question is what bulb do I want to buy? I guess like 14K range and single ended. Just looking for what someone really likes, I don't have the energy to do massive research, so a trusted opinion from my fellow MR members would suffice.

Thanks all!

- Tom

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
this question is largely based on your own opinion. (I know that's not exactly what you're looking for)

What type of ballast do you have? Magnetic or Electronic? Bulbs will look different under each..

My suggestion is to take a look at some other's tanks (don't necessarily rely on pictures, as true colors are very hard to recreate online) and narrow your choices down.

You also have to let us know if you're looking for a blue look/white look/crisp white/etc.. and if you're looking for growth/coloration/etc.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I use de 14k phoenix bulbs but not sure if it comes in se. I would try 20k radium for se bulbs.

I wouldn't use Radiums without a Pulse Start ballast because they will not be run to spec (and not last long nor have the "Radium" colors.. they may not even fire up at all)... personally with 2x 54 watt actinic supplemental T5's, you don't need a 20,000K bulb, but that's my opinion.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
this question is largely based on your own opinion. (I know that's not exactly what you're looking for)

What type of ballast do you have? Magnetic or Electronic? Bulbs will look different under each..

My suggestion is to take a look at some other's tanks (don't necessarily rely on pictures, as true colors are very hard to recreate online) and narrow your choices down.

You also have to let us know if you're looking for a blue look/white look/crisp white/etc.. and if you're looking for growth/coloration/etc.

:splitspinDITTO:splitspin

geldof

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I have the same fixture. So far I've liked the Reeflux 12k's in it the best. I got good growth and really nice color with RL bulbs and could save money by not running the actinics during the period that they were on. IMO, it's blue enough without them with the RL's. I'm running XM 20k right now. They're pretty sterile looking compared to the 12K's, really slow growth too. I'll be switching back as soon as I get my 9 months out of the XM's. One more thing, I tried the XM 10k's too. I didn't get enough blue out of the Actinics in this fixture. Everything looked very yellow with them, even with the Actinics on. Hope this helps a little.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
You might want to check out:

Ushio 250w SE 10K
Coralvue 14k 250w SE

Phoenix does make a 250w SE bulb, but I am totally not a fan of it at all. Their SE bulbs do not compare to their top notch DE bulbs.

Russ

BTW, I have to totally agree with Eric:

E.intheC said:

Last edited:

mandown123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I don't know what k ind of ballast it is but its friggin huge. Thing must weigh like 15 pounds. The one that came with that fixture.

I don't like too blue, don't like too sterile white. I was thinking 14k for that reason.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: