fish keeper 7

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Do i need to buy an RO membrane from the company that supplies the RO unit? or are they universal?

Its an old Life Reef 4 stage Ro/Di unit. got it from an MR member few months back and just would like to replace everything soon.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Open the RO membrane canister and check the label on the membrane itself. You'll be sure to at least see what the last owner installed (they could have installed the wrong membrane though).

Russ

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
It can also get tricky with rebadged membranes. An example is with the Aqua FX Barracuda 100 gpd unit, it only uses a Dow Filmtec 75 gpd membrane. I know this from when I first bought the unit years ago and they didn't use their own rebadged membranes but now they do and am sure that it probably reads something like: Aquarium Water Filters 100 gpd membrane.

Rating - 50%
1   1   0
You'll want to check two things: 1) the label on the side of the membrane, as mentioned above, and 2) your flow restrictor.

You wouldn't believe the number of systems we troubleshoot (mostly ebay systems) that come from the vendor with the wrong flow restrictor installed. If your flow restrictor is a capillary type, let us know what color it is.

If you have a cartridge type restrictor, it should have a 3 or 4 digit number stamped on the side.

Also - if you are going to replace your membrane (and other filters?) that would be an ideal time to do your annual sanitizing. Let us know if you need instructions and we can email them to you.

Russ @
Buckeye Field Supply

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: