• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

JonnyIce

Used as bait
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Simple background here...I've had this halloween hermit crab since the beginning over two years ago...got it from Greenwich Aquaria...it is reef safe...has been reef safe, and the only issue I've ever had with it is killing big turbo snails for their shells...so I caught him last night with the foot of the little clam in a deathgrip and I wrestled him off...this morning it was a done deal...all the CUC chowing down on the innards of my beloved crocea :(. anyone else ever had issues? this stinks!:irked:

JonnyIce

Used as bait
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
it was fine, fully open about a half hour before...then closed completely shut when it looked like the hermit had the clam's foot...my belief is that if it wasn't healthy, it wouldnt have been able to be shut completely and tight while the hermit was doing the gator roll with it!

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
The clams usually attach themselves onto a rock pretty well and hopefully in the sand or small crevice so the hermit crabs can't get to the soft flesh underneath. If it was not attached for some reason, or attached in a bad spot, then I can see the hermit crab just taking advantage of it. Once the flesh of the clam starts getting torn, the CUC will follow.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: