• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I thought what made the true perculas what they are are the thicker bolder black lines with a lighter yellow color. The ORA variation looks like a false with minimum black and with that shade of orange. Does it matter what area of the world they are from?

Chris Jury

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perculas often have more black on them than A. occellaris, but the amount of black is highly variable betwen individuals. Some are half black, or even more black than orange, but many look rather similar to A. occellaris, or have just a bit thicker black edging around their bars. The shade of orange/yellow is also variable among individuals, but seems to be strongly influenced by the diet the larvae receive. Without the proper pigments when the larvae are growing they'll be basically yellow, with more of the pigments (e.g., from food like cyclopeeze) and they tend to be a more brialliant orange. Individuals still vary though.

The one in the ORA pick looks like a youngish A. percula to my eyes, and they tend to develop more black as they age. That one will, I bet, get thick black lines as it grows older.

Hope that helps,

Chris

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: