jawwad2004

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Hey guys, I have done a lot of reading here on the boards and other sources as well, and have decided that the pros associated with ozone out weigh the cons. However there are still a few things that I dont understand and that is how much ozone is required for, lets say a 90 gallon tank? I was thinking about getting the red sea ozonizer and it doses 50mg/hour w/air drier (item #: RS3631 at marinedepot.com).
Guys at aqua c were telling me that I am most def. going to have to use carbon to absorb the excess ozone from the water and the waste so it doesnt get into the air.

If anyone is using ozone on the boards, which brand are you using? Any pros and cons with those units? Any feeback will be helpful! THanks

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
There are sevaral people on this board that use ozonizers and there are several threads on it.

Lately enaly has been selling a lot of usite on ebay. I believe Frank got one of them.

I use Sander ozonizers and I always use it in conjunction with carbon. The reason for the carbon is so that all of the ozone oxidizes and does not go anywhere near your main tank. Its a good idea to use ozone in conjunction with a redox controller. Most people use it with a skimmer including myself.

The ideal way is to use a ozone reactor. Frank will be able to tell you more on the reactor as he is currently in the process of making one.

What is the reason that you all of a sudden want to use Ozone? Remember that ozone is quite a potent poison and if overdosed can seriously harm your inhabitants. Make sure you study up on the usage and that you take all of the precautions needed.

Regards,
Herman

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
jawwad2004 said:
but I want crystal clear water, and everyone is telling me that it def. helps.

Jawwad, your issues with not having crystal clear water have little to do with the potential benefits of ozone. Be careful in how you address that problem.

Dean

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Deanos said:
Jawwad, your issues with not having crystal clear water have little to do with the potential benefits of ozone. Be careful in how you address that problem.

Dean
I agree with Deanos
First off are you using carbon? most efficent way is throug a reactor cheap phosban reators work real well much mre efficent than droping a bag into your sump.

is your skimmer large enough for your tank and Bio load?

if you do decide to run ozone, do you plan on using it in a reactor? skimmer? controller?

more to using ozone than just the ozoner itself.

deanos can you link the the latest threads regarding Ozone?

free Ozone can be very dangerous in your home first off it's very unhealthy bad for you lungs if you have any type of lung ailment, asthma you asking for big trouble take it from one who knows.
free ozone will also attack electrical cords, rubber seals and most importantly if your house is wired with romex cable (which is now national code and legal in NYC) it could also attack that creating a potential fire hazard.

this is the reason why I strongly advocate using Ozone in a sealed dedicated reactor directly link to a sealed carbon reactor to prevent any Ozone from escaping into the ambiant air in your home.

Just my .02

jawwad2004

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Deanos said:

Dean

Well Deanos, as you and Marrone saw the other day and we all know that my water is not disolored, but just a lot of particles floating around (I tried using a filter sock, and I am running carbon, but its not helping.)
The only thing that did help was when I lowered the Seio and put it on the opposite side of the tank so the water flow would go towards the overflow, and water did clear up a little more, however its still there.
If I was to get an ozonizer, I would run it through my skimmer (aqua c ev120) however I plan on upgrading it to an aquac ev 180 within 6 months.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: