fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I've heard that Actinic light is more for us and isn't very usuable to corals. I'm waiting for my new bulbs to be delivered so my tank is running on 150 watts of VHO Actinic only. It's a 55 gallon tank with zoos, mushrooms, yellow polyps and candy canes.

By the time the new bulbs get here they will have been on Actinic only for one week. How bad is this for them, or am I fine?

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
got ya, thanks. Everything is wide open, in fact they look healthy and fine. I just read today that Actinic wattage "doesn't really count", it freaked me out abit but once the 10k bulbs come in I guess I'll be fine.

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Actinics are actually beneficial from what ive read, the color spectrum spikes at 430 nm-460nm, blue spectrum actually helps photosynthesize (looking for article) so its not just for you but for your corals

Freshwater due to the low K plants prefer (theyre not underwater where the light is bluer) most people feel its unecessary in THAT freshwater application.

Do u have a link to what your talking about? ive never heard true actinics (not just a blue bulb) are unnecessary

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Here's the link plus in there is reference to a September article that Anthony Calfo wrote going into greater detail but I can't find that one. I've also read that the spectrum super saturates photosynthesis in zooxanthellae, but I didn't know if "super saturates" is a good thing or bad thing. Wet Web Media is a fantastic resource and all but it sucks when you are looking for a very specific piece of information.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: