Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Chief,

I've had this hawk for nearly a decade and I can't remember it ever being a problem of any kind. They do have a reputation for taking out shrimp, and for jumping, but this has not been my experience with this individual. Of course, now that I've said this, she will most likely turn into a depraved maniac over night and wreak havoc in my reef followed shortly by a suicidal plunge to the carpet:)

Hard to beat this fish for character, worth the risk in my opinion.

Randy

ezee

Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
Randy,

I have been looking for this thread!

Just as an FYI to all. Randy has some of the most awesome corals I have seen. That includes an acro with a famous lineage from Europe, a beautiful LPS not usually seen in most tanks and a gorgeous fast growing hammer larger than a basketball!

One of the tanks that Randy has is going on 10 years (with fish that are 10 years old :) ) and is healthy as heck. Beautiful fish specimens, pink tailed trigger, healthy large tangs and a seahorse tank. Not to mention half a dozen+ clams, including a 7 in crocea.

Randy uses an assortment of lighting (geisman 14.5K, reeflux 10K, etc.) and those who want to see the differences in configurations can get much checking it out.

Thanks,

E

Last edited:

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Nice looking tanks!! Good job on the pictures Chris:approve:

attachment.php

Randy, How long you had that butterfly in the picture? Does it nip at the corals or clams? what is the scientific name of it?

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Thanks Cali. The butteryfly is a spot fin ( sorry don't know the scientific name) from the Caribbean... actually caught off LI by the fine folks out at Atlantis. I introduced it as a means of Aiptasia control and have rotated it around my tanks for about a year. It is great for this purpose, and definately goes after these pests first, BUT it is a nipper on zoanthids, some SPS and most recently a clam --- he is gone now:) Though he nips, he never really damaged anything badly, more of an annoyance. So, I would say reef safe for limited periods of time if there is a good reason to introduce one i.e. aiptasia. The good news is they are very easy to catch when you need to. Just put a small piece of rock with an aiptasia on it into a net and they will swim right in in short order.

Randy

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
First the good news-- I NEVER charge for frags--trades only.
The bad, well not really bad, but I can't comment on availability at this time. Some pieces of some of the corals you indicated will definitely be available.
When you get here, make me an offer I can't refuse:) If I change my mind--- more like get it together-- and pre-cut frags, I'll remember your early interest. If you want to stop by in advance some time, that can probably be arranged too.
Randy

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Pierce, Thanks :D

Rich(Rborgia), Thanks :D. The camera is a Kodak LS743. It's a point and shot camera and all the pics were without tripod. Lets just say I got really lucky that day :teeth:.

Randy,
If your cutting any millis ;) Let me know. I'll pay you a visit this coming Friday if your around to drop off the Exit. We can talk trades :).
-Kris

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
nanoreefer22 said:
:D

Rich(Rborgia), Thanks :D. The camera is a Kodak LS743. It's a point and shot camera and all the pics were without tripod. Lets just say I got really lucky that day :teeth:.

yeah... really nice shots... I have a Canon Rebel Digital XT, good lense, and still can't get shots like that... I guess I need RTFM...

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
SlamaJama said:
very, very, sweet...shouldnt this be on tank thread?
and if this is for frag swap, wat is avail?

It was in the Tank Thread forum; I moved it temporarily here to add some more spice to the Frag Swap. :flower:

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
nanoreefer22 said:
Pierce, Thanks :D

NP..

Don't start drinking because you will loose the steady hands for nice macro shots:lol:.

SlamaJama

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.3%
152   1   0
wow, had a great trip out to Pratt whr the frag swap is going to be held...met randy, awsome reefer, fits rite in with all us down to earth (water) reefers..his tanks have beautiful pieces to drool over, i really felt like a kid in a candy store...

thxs much randy, ill post some pics of the frags u generously gave me...top notch fella.
i feel bad, too nice a guy to have to endure being a jet fan...lol
c u @ swap...
mike

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: