• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

Salty Dog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90.9%
20   2   0
From my own past experience, I learned a couple of things

1. Try not to overdue trace minerals and suppliments
2. Make sure your R/O water TDS is low
3. Make sure there is no possible contaminant getting into the tank. I once killed off an entire reef aquarium because my syphon for doing water changes was laced with an oil contaminant
4. Salt mixtures for large water changes need to be airated/buffered properly

its werd you mentioned TDS, I checked mine and it was 168ppm, OMG I checked it four times, Tap water is at 140ppm. My filters I changed in july. I have all new filters for my RODI coming today so guess what I will be doing. Pulling out my water change over tank, cleaning it out, changing all my filters and making some new ESV salt water. Sunday I will do a 55 g change. Yep all these things make SPS not happy. But glad Im getting to the problems becuase Sunday I will be at the swap with my grocery cart

stage3-S4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
its werd you mentioned TDS, I checked mine and it was 168ppm, OMG I checked it four times, Tap water is at 140ppm. My filters I changed in july. I have all new filters for my RODI coming today so guess what I will be doing. Pulling out my water change over tank, cleaning it out, changing all my filters and making some new ESV salt water. Sunday I will do a 55 g change. Yep all these things make SPS not happy. But glad Im getting to the problems becuase Sunday I will be at the swap with my grocery cart

I had the same problem, and found out that the it was my RO membrane. I would replace that as well just to be safe.

Salty Dog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90.9%
20   2   0
well that is great news, I don't think I have any bulbs right now but if I do ill bring them to the swap. I hope to see you at the swap

Yesterday I took the day off and worked on my tank all day, Its been a long time coming and Im so happy with the way things are turning out, One of the wavy sea lines was kinked and I had two new 20k bulbs out of four so I changed them as well. Man you can really tell the difference from the old to new. I will get two more bulbs this weekend and change them too. I took my canopy off that hosed my light fixture and hung the light from the ceiling 10" off the water. What a difference that made in terms of spreading the light thru out the tank,whew. before the light fixture was built into the canopy and was about 5" off the water, the glass on the lights would always get covered in salt just a PITA. Well now its just so much cleaner and more effiecent.

http://
Picture006-1.jpg

http://
Picture007.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: