RAYS REEF

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
the way i did it was with a siphon that suck all the sand out,if you do a lb a day it will take you 120 days to get all of it out,if you had the sand for a while in the tank i would remove everything live from the tank because disturbing the sand could be dangerous to the live stock.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I agree with the partial syphon method since it won't trigger a cycle. Every water change just syphon sand along with the water. It won't disturb the sand left, won't kick off a cycle and it won't cloud the tank.

What will you do with the sand once it's out?

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

LaurieC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I'm tagging along because I'm going to transfer over my 55G to another 55G while I make a sump out of the original 55g to go with a new 90G DT. (I can't leave everything in the orginal 55g because I will put the 90G in the same built-in space). I thought I could just move everything over to the new 55G as follows--First take out all livestock and place in zip lock bags with DT tank water. Then move some DT tank water into a bucket with a pump and put all LR in there. Then do the same for the sand. I'd just scoop up the rock and sand under water with a ziplock so nothing is exposed to air. Transfer what's left of original dt water over to new tank and then place sand into tank, rock, livestock. Would use same filters, etc I'd do a water change when everything is finally transfered over to the 90G in another week or two. Will this work or am I gonna have a new cycle? Is there a better way to do this? This is a FOWLR tank. This is my first saltwater tank transfer so all advice very welcome!

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Stan, the most important factor to determine whether or not you'll have major problems by stirring up the sandbed is how long the system has been running. There really is no exact amount of time that will determine the toxicity of the gases trapped in the sandbed, but the longer the system has been running and the longer there has been an anaerobic (lacking oxygen) layer the more trouble you'll have when removing it.

Russ

roc5288

ReefersDelight
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
It's a fowlr tank. No coral, Running about two months. Want to remove in order to keep my huma huma that is constantly creating a sand storm. Sand is marco very fine. Thought i would be able to put in something course just to cover the bottom one day. don't really like the bare bottom look.

roc5288

ReefersDelight
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I agree with the partial syphon method since it won't trigger a cycle. Every water change just syphon sand along with the water. It won't disturb the sand left, won't kick off a cycle and it won't cloud the tank.

What will you do with the sand once it's out?

Your welcome to some, if not most of it, if you wish.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, on the same topic, what is the best way to make a move to a new apartment with a fully established tank? Place corals in a holding bucket for a few days while the sand and tank are setup and are giving time to settle down? Would even a few days be enough time for the sand to cycle through on its own even in the case of a very established bed of sand?

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Roc what sized tank do you have?
I have a 5 gallon bucket of crushed coral if that is the direction you wish to go. Ill take the sand if you are getting rid of it.

LaurieC it would be better to start a new thread with your question. You have a very involved situation.

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
So, on the same topic, what is the best way to make a move to a new apartment with a fully established tank? Place corals in a holding bucket for a few days while the sand and tank are setup and are giving time to settle down? Would even a few days be enough time for the sand to cycle through on its own even in the case of a very established bed of sand?

With any sandbed that is matured, I would discard the sand and start fresh if moving from one apartment to another. If the sandbed was young and not established I wouldn't have a problem moving it.

Russ

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
It's a fowlr tank. No coral, Running about two months. Want to remove in order to keep my huma huma that is constantly creating a sand storm. Sand is marco very fine. Thought i would be able to put in something course just to cover the bottom one day. don't really like the bare bottom look.

I don't think you'll have a problem just scooping and dumping. :lol2:

R

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With any sandbed that is matured, I would discard the sand and start fresh if moving from one apartment to another. If the sandbed was young and not established I wouldn't have a problem moving it.

Russ

There must be a more efficient solution than just throwing it all away. I am going to look into this. I know at some point any system I set up in the city, I will have to eventually tear it down when i move.

roc5288

ReefersDelight
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Roc what sized tank do you have?
I have a 5 gallon bucket of crushed coral if that is the direction you wish to go. Ill take the sand if you are getting rid of it.

It's 240g.. I had order a 160 lbs, but got rid if some already to give to a friend.
I would say there is about 110 to 120lbs.. your more than welcome to have.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
There must be a more efficient solution than just throwing it all away. I am going to look into this. I know at some point any system I set up in the city, I will have to eventually tear it down when i move.
Just take out the sand, rinse in 'good' in salt water, and re-use it. Done this many times, in fact, just did it in June when I upgraded my 6 yr. old 130g and 170g into my new 450g.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: