cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
I got a Halloween Urchin from liveaquaria.com this weekend thinking I was getting a regular pincushon urchin - just a different color and a better algae eater. The stats said he was reef safe and peaceful. It turns out he's a Halloween Urchin AKA Preist-Hat Urchin (Tripneustes gratilla).

Here he is:
halloween-urchin.jpg

Upon doing some further reading I discovered that some web sites say he'll grow to about 4 inches and he's venemous, particularly to other sea life. Others say he's reef safe and peaceful. I even called LiveAquaria and they said he's fine.

Still, the venemous thing concerns me. I have a Foxface, but I'm not worried about him around my other fish because he'll warn them to back off. The fish know what he means and they will. Not so much with an urchin, they aren't as...um...communicative.

Does anybody have any experience with this animal? Are my concerns justified? Should I be looking for a new home for him?

cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
Whew! Thanks Randy. Time to buy some aqua gloves. :) He's really cool looking critter and adds a bit of color to the tank. I did a long acclimation with him, but so far he's just hanging on the back wall of the tank. Gloved fingers crossed he adjusts OK.

BTW, I'm still hoping elebell will post more Pratt tank photos. If she doesn't I'm eyeing that bright pink pocillopora.

jcolon2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Honestly, the whole venemous thing shouldn't phase you too much. I had 3 urchins. My mom got tipsy one night (which is rare for her) and let's just say she felt overly brave and decided to pet my long spine urchin. Nothing happened lol, and the urchin as venemous. That is not to say you shouldn't take caution. You never know how your body will react to it.

tentacles

cephalopod enthusiast
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Honestly, the whole venemous thing shouldn't phase you too much. I had 3 urchins. My mom got tipsy one night (which is rare for her) and let's just say she felt overly brave and decided to pet my long spine urchin. Nothing happened lol, and the urchin as venemous. That is not to say you shouldn't take caution. You never know how your body will react to it.

:funnypost:biglaugh:

Cyber, I've personally spent a lot of time taking care of Randy's tanks (woo student employment!) and noticed that the urchins really don't come out much during the day, so I wouldn't be worried about not seeing your guy yet :)

cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
Were there any marks on the Tang?

There were a few on his face, but I don't know what tube feet marks would look like - apparently it's the urchin's feet that do the stinging. A lot of frags in the tank had been dislodged (maybe he was thrashing at some point?).

To net out my big Hippo Tang Sunday I had to tear out half the rockwork. When I put it back in I stacked it a little differently in order to give the Orange Shoulder and his Foxface buddy more room to swim (both were/are about 6-7 inches long).

Sunday night once everything was back in the tank the Orange Shoulder seemed happy with the new arrangement and was doing full laps around the circumference on the tank. Monday morning he ate breakfast and was doing laps when I left for work.

The urchin was carrying a yummy piece of red algae on his head that the Orange Shoulder was very interested in, but I was able to distract him - for the time being anyway - with other food. At some point if he tried to eat the urchin's algae, I could see how the Tang might have been stung. There is also a tight space between the rocks and the left end of the tank where the urchin has been hanging out. It's just big enough for a tang to swim through.

Since I wasn't there this is all just speculation, I really don't know what happened. Besides the Hippo having gone to a new home, the urchin and a few Zebra Gobies (very timid fish) were the only new variables in the tank. The Orange Shoulder was maybe 2-3 years old, was acting normally and had no known health issues, which is why the urchin is my prime suspect.

Domboski is going to take him, but if he changes his mind, you're next in line.

Robin

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: