• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jcolon2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Hi. I am handicapped when it comes to lighting so I could really use some help. Right now I have vhos running on my 55 gallon tank- t12. I am looking to keep all sorts of corals.

I also have a canopy for the tank so I need to be able to put lighting in the canopy that won't cause a dam fire (my room gets very hot quickly). Although I'd love metal halides they will heat up my room. LEDS are beautiful but too expensive. So, T5 it is?

Although I know the general rule, how many watt would be best in a 5housing all types of corals? What brand is best for ballasts and lights? How many ballasts do I need? I want to get the most bang for my buck but at the same time I'd prefer to do it right the first time : )

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
you could take your canopy off and use 2 x 150 MH.. that would allow you to keep most everything with the right placement.

4x T5's would be fine, as long as you're using good enough reflectors and ballasts.. a 55 isn't deep (front to back) so you don't need that many.

You could use an Ice Cap Retro.. a Tek 4x54 watt.. even a Nova Extreme fixture with good bulbs would allow you to keep most SPS if you keep them high enough.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: