• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I am not sure if many people do this but for years I have helped support rock from above. My tank is in an enclosure so it is easy for me and it makes it possable to aquascape in ways that do not seem possable like having rock tilt toward the front of the tank without falling into the front glass. Or having large rocks barely touching the rest of the structure, something you could not do unless you cemented the rock together.
It is hard to tell from this picture but the entire structure is only touching the substrait in a few places. The structure is suspended from the top in 3 places. This lets me have a very open design that I would not be able to do if I depended on the bottom rock to support the top rock.
All of the rocks that go above the water surface are supported from above or the back wall.
newcorals002.jpg

Here with the front of the wall opened up you can see three strings going up to the ceiling or the rear wall. It is just another way to aquascape.
If I had a light behind the tank you would see very open rockwork that is not apparent in the pictures.
opentank.jpg

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
You mean the gorgonian? I really need ot move it, it is hitting the front glass. I need to move the entire structure but that is for next week.
After years the rocks seem to creep forward and fill in so they must be re positioned.
Over the years many rocks were suspended.
DSC01323.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: