richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I'm going to transfer my tank setup from my old 50 to my new 50. My sand is a crushed shell type of sand and its dirty. Is there any way to clean it? I know it will kill the bacteria in there but its pretty ugly looking. Should I just dump it into a bucket and hose it with water?

Thanks.

chinatown

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
i would just toss the sand all together. could cause a big cycle if u move it. but if your system was up for less than a month, then you can probably move it. myself, i used half my old sand before because it was still fairly new.

Last edited:

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
You could rinse with fresh then finish with salt. After I rinse mine I put it in a large bucket with a powerhead for a couple days and test the water parameters before I add to a tank.

Last edited:

bbreef240

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
if your breaking a tank down use the water from the tank...or do a water change and use that water...both are salted and will work....of corse it is always easier to spend money and by new stuff...all depends what you want to do....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: