AriMiko43

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I have a 156 gallon tank [60x24x25] with 40 breeder sump that I am going to be setting up soon. So far as my equipment from my 65 gallon that I will be using, I have 48 leds diy fixture, bubble magus nac7 skimmer, 2 vortech mp40wes, mag 9.5 pump and 2 phosban reactors. I am starting with all new dry rock [140 lbs] and sand [160 lbs].

What equipment should I upgrade? I know I will need a stronger pump being the new tank has dual overflows. What are some good pumps that will be good for the returns and enough to run the reactors also? My led's I am expanding to 96. Do you think my skimmer is fine or should I upgrade it also?

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Go with an external pump that is pressure rated for high head. BlueLine's, PanWorlds and others. Blueline 70HD is a good start. Look into making a manifold so you may plump other optional equipment for the future when ready. Like a chiller for next year if any, an external PS if possible, or even a frag tank.

Would upgrade the skimmer as you will want fish in your reef tank. That 7 is cutting it 2 close and your not thinking of future bioload as corals get bigger and fish aswell... Look 4 something rated for 250-300 gallons.

Just my $.02

Last edited:

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Would upgrade the skimmer as you will want fish in your reef tank. That 7 is cutting it 2 close and your not thinking of future bioload as corals get bigger and fish aswell... Look 4 something rated for 250-300 gallons.

Just my $.02

+1

In my eyes the most important thing. I was always told to get one rated at double the gallons youll actually have in your system.

I would also keep a descent amount of your present live rock to seed the dry rock if its going to be uncured, although I would really consider curing whatever rock your going to put in. Its gonna drive you nuts takin that long to cycle once you look at that pretty new tank lol.

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
I dont know about there packaging so I could not tell you. But ANY rock that is DRY and has not been shrink wrapped or covered in any way will need to be cured as you do not know what particles has settled on and in the crevices of your rock. Let alone a supplier with tons of rock in storage. There are numerous threads on curing your live rock... it will take time to cure. Some have even cooked there rocks.. Bob1000 should be able to fill you in on some info. GL..

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Can't tell you, but dry means dry to me. If its not shrink wrapped I don't know. Ever used the term... wow smells like roses in here or My shyt don't stink!! LOL!!!

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: