albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
JuvhYs8vH90
JuvhYs8vH90
I have Solaris I5 LEDs on my 450g (96"X40"X27"h) since June, have a lot of corals on sand bed...so far so good (had been using LEDs on my 170g for past year) Have additional 10 T5s (5 blue and 5 white)...tank is WIDE!
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuvhYs8vH90

rafal07013

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
24   2   0
@NYPDFrogman - LED will work on any tank, shallow, deep, small and big. You may need to adjust some settings (focal lenses/intensity) but LED lighting will work and the tank will thrive.

Price - touchy topic. Price really depends what do you expect from LEDs and quality of materials used. Just like almost anything in this hobby. It doesnt mean one fixture is better or worse - just does it in a different way.

If I were you, I would formulate a list of things that you expect from the fixture and than it will be much easier to pick the right one.

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
new $3500 for a good fixture that grows sps, i am in same boat, might be cheaper paying electric bill until price of LED's comes down
I figure it would take at least 2-3 years to break even so I really cant justify the switch heat really isnt a problem and my tank is doing rather well with the current set up
the only advantage I can see now eliminating the need to change bulbs once a yearand less power consumption but it still doesnt justify the cost. I know the whole controller aspect but right now my lights are controlled with an Aquacontroller III again tank is stable doing well and corals are growing
@NYPDFrogman - LED will work on any tank, shallow, deep, small and big. You may need to adjust some settings (focal lenses/intensity) but LED lighting will work and the tank will thrive.

Price - touchy topic. Price really depends what do you expect from LEDs and quality of materials used. Just like almost anything in this hobby. It doesnt mean one fixture is better or worse - just does it in a different way.

If I were you, I would formulate a list of things that you expect from the fixture and than it will be much easier to pick the right one.

thats just it I am happy with my current lighting would mind knowing my 1100.00 per month electric bill down

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I figure it would take at least 2-3 years to break even so I really cant justify the switch heat really isnt a problem and my tank is doing rather well with the current set up
the only advantage I can see now eliminating the need to change bulbs once a yearand less power consumption but it still doesnt justify the cost. I know the whole controller aspect but right now my lights are controlled with an Aquacontroller III again tank is stable doing well and corals are growing

thats just it I am happy with my current lighting would mind knowing my 1100.00 per month electric bill down

I knew it would take at least 2 years to break even. Based on that, its totally worth it to me because I know I'll still be in the hobby well after that. The cree XRE and XPG LED's people normally get should last 50,000 hours (slightly over 10 years at 12 hours a day) before reducing down to 70% brightness. I'll be making out from 3-10 years with my LED's.

But like you said, ifs waiting 2-3 years isn't worth it to break even, then it may not be for you.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
...tank is stable doing well and corals are growing
Based on this statement, I'd say leave well enough alone!...

Based on this statement, I'd say WTF... $1100 mo.???? this past year, in a 3000 Sq. Ft. house...I had 6 tanks running (over 800g) 2 w/MH, 2 w/Leds, 2 w/T5s...central AC, 3 add'l room ACs, 2 dehumifiers, 3 refig/freezers, Daughter and grandson that don't know how to TURN OFF lights/TVs, 2-3 loads of laundry a day...etc, etc...and my bill NEVER hit $500 mo....in WESTCHESTER! WTH are you running, over there...did the neighbors tap into your line?

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Based on this statement, I'd say leave well enough alone!...

Based on this statement, I'd say WTF... $1100 mo.???? this past year, in a 3000 Sq. Ft. house...I had 6 tanks running (over 800g) 2 w/MH, 2 w/Leds, 2 w/T5s...central AC, 3 add'l room ACs, 2 dehumifiers, 3 refig/freezers, Daughter and grandson that don't know how to TURN OFF lights/TVs, 2-3 loads of laundry a day...etc, etc...and my bill NEVER hit $500 mo....in WESTCHESTER! WTH are you running, over there...did the neighbors tap into your line?

JCPL :irked:...... enough said....
I get a kilowatt charge and a delivery charge so I pay almost 25 cents a kilo watt summer it's a bit higher
my house is 5000 sqft
pool, hot tub, central A/C, electric drier(had electric range switched to propane) 2HP well pump, 2 refrigerators,my sons embroidery business and my 450 gal DT 550 total volume
it adds up
explored solar but the dormers on my house limit the amount of panels I can put up and the tress so it will only reduce my bill 20% not worth the investment...:irked:

been seriously considering selling the tank and taking a break fr a while

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: