• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Suncastle1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Unfortunately, I let my 180 go and everything is covered with brown algae. Sand, rocks, etc. I want to start over. I guess I have to recycle the rock to get rid of the algae and clean out the tank, sump, skimmer. etc. I have a beautiful blue hippo tang (6 inches) and other fish that I would hate to lose. Can I just buy a 10g tank to use as a quaratine while I'm waiting to cure the rock (which may take weeks)? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
a 10 gallon would be way to small for that fish and especially that amount of time. why dont you see if a local fish store will hold them for you while you re-do the tank? although i do not like animal kingdom i know they can hold your fish. there are other options as well like selling the fish or just asking someone on here that may have the extra space.

can you post a picture of your tank so we can see how badly overran with algae it really is? have you tried anything to rectify the algae problem yet? tell us a little why your so set on restarting instead of trying to clean it up?

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I like this idea also. I would go so far as to mod a mag pump into a pressure washer and blast all the algae off the rock before I put it in a rubbermaid container with RODI to cure in darkness for a few days. To make sure you starve all the algae.

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
or.....u could get a clean up crew that has been fed steroid enriched food....this way u dont have to take anything out.....and no tank recycle..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: