Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Wanted to know what eveyone thought of using distilled water as ATO water?

My RO/DI unit is soooooo slow that it takes an entire day to fill a 5g bucket. Due to the fact that I don't like leaving the bucket lying around my apartment for days (or setting up my RO/DI unit every night) waiting for the bucket to fill, I usually only fill it once a week- use half for a water change the the other half for my ATO water.

However, if I miss a week my ATO container gets low- I have been filling it with distilled water instead of going through the whole process during the week. I still use RO/DI water for my water changes- and prefer to use it for my ATO water however...

Any thoughts on using distilled for top-off once in a while?

yessongs

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Tonyscoots84 said:
i also heard that distilled water still has pollutants is this true....
"Do some contaminants carry over with the steam in the distillation process?
Some contaminants that have boiling points lower than that of water could carry over, which is why these distillers are equipped with a safety feature: a volatile gas vent, a design feature which removes most of these contaminants. For even further protection, each distiller is also equipped with a carbon post-filter to provide you with the highest quality distilled water with a 99% or higher removal rate of contaminants. Distillation also makes the water closer to neutral pH, because it removes all contaminants, whether acid or alkyline"

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Reefer420 said:
Wanted to know what eveyone thought of using distilled water as ATO water?

My RO/DI unit is soooooo slow that it takes an entire day to fill a 5g bucket. Due to the fact that I don't like leaving the bucket lying around my apartment for days (or setting up my RO/DI unit every night) waiting for the bucket to fill, I usually only fill it once a week- use half for a water change the the other half for my ATO water.

However, if I miss a week my ATO container gets low- I have been filling it with distilled water instead of going through the whole process during the week. I still use RO/DI water for my water changes- and prefer to use it for my ATO water however...

Any thoughts on using distilled for top-off once in a while?
get a pump for your ro unit its cheaper in the long run. you are killing you filer way to fast with that only 5 gals all day .with a pump it would take you only hr to make gals or so ,JMO it cost 85 bux rigth to your house through aquasafe on ebay

Last edited:

dreko

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I find that different brands of steam distilled water are better than others... sounds weird I know, but I think some have more phosphates in the water than others...
Am I wrong??

Dre

Gmandese

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Distilled water cannot have phosphates. Phosphate is a solid, and cannot be converted to a gas, therefore, it cannot be included in the distilled water.
Distilled water is just H2O. Not counting anything in the plastic jug. (miniscule)

yessongs

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Off the top of my head (over a year ago)
NYC Tap - 42 TDS
Spring water - mid 20s TDS
RO/DI - 0+ TDS
Distilled - 0 TDS

Key Food brand (red cap) distilled water always 0 TDS, 89? a gallon.

IMO, a RO/DI unit is a better deal, there are good units on ebay for under $100 shipped.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thnx- I won't worry as much about using it for my ato water now...

Wish I could do anything else in my apartment for my ro/di water- but can't modify or do anything to my plumbing- so a faucet adapter is the only thing I can do for my unit.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: