Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
So my sump is in the basement its about 8' that my return pump needs to push.

for the last 2 years I have used a Tarpon Uno, it works great but im afriad its time could be runnign short. since im doing a new sump anyways..

Does anyone have a suggestion for an internal pump that could do the job, without destroying my electric bill?

I dont do well with undertanding electric so please keep it simple. Whatever could save me money, any possibly make me not need to drill my tank would be awsome!! my overflows say the can handle 1400gp. I would be happy with 900 gph or so.

I would be happy to not have to drill my sump.

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Go external... BLUELINE 100Hd... 45FT High Head, Pressure Rated Pump, 1900GPH
Easy to plump... but the draw is either 290W or 320W

Last edited:

DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Flow is more important than circulation. I would reduce the diameter of the return. It will put less demand on the pump. You'll have slower turnover rate but you uwont need a big time pump.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
The problem with the requirements you're putting forth are as follows:

- 8' of vertical lift plus add 900 gph of flow is a lot for an internal pump (no drilling).
- 900 gph plus 8' of vertical lift is going to require either a lot of electric for an internal pump or drilling for an external pump as suggested by OzoneParkGuy.
- An external pump would be my recommendation (drilled sump) for efficiency.

Why don't you want to go with a drilled sump? Lots of benefits to using one.

Russ

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Like I said I have been using an extrenal for years. I was kinda hoping to cut down on some of the space the pump adds.

Also I was hoping to cut down on the hum from the pump.

Guess im drilling .. oh well... thanks everyone!

gatojebv

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I have similar setup in the basement and I use Blueline 40 HD External WITHOUT DRILLING MY SUMP it works fine and does not consume too much power not more than 130W if I remember correctly. I have a 1 inch hose going from the Sump to the pump similar to an overflow box and it has been working great. This was temporarily solution until I could drill my tank but it has not given me any problems at all in over a year. I end up with about 300GPH turnover in my 100G tank but circulation is taken care by my Koralias

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
How many power outages have you experiences and how is this being run externally? How is the pump priming itself.

I am always curious about new applications

House

I have similar setup in the basement and I use Blueline 40 HD External WITHOUT DRILLING MY SUMP it works fine and does not consume too much power not more than 130W if I remember correctly. I have a 1 inch hose going from the Sump to the pump similar to an overflow box and it has been working great. This was temporarily solution until I could drill my tank but it has not given me any problems at all in over a year. I end up with about 300GPH turnover in my 100G tank but circulation is taken care by my Koralias

gatojebv

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
To prime it for the first time I used my internal pump for my reactors to feed the 1" vynil tubing and from that point on it worked flawlessly. No problems with outages or shutting it down for feeding or water changes. I have the external pump at the same level of the sump bottom.

Attachments

• SumpTankConnection.jpg
    SumpTankConnection.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 65

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Interesting . . . .

Sorry to hijack this thread, but have you tried letting the level of the sump that the feed to the pump is in get below the hose level? and then refilling and seeing if the pump will "pull" the water back up?

House

To prime it for the first time I used my internal pump for my reactors to feed the 1" vynil tubing and from that point on it worked flawlessly. No problems with outages or shutting it down for feeding or water changes. I have the external pump at the same level of the sump bottom.

gatojebv

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Interesting . . . .

Sorry to hijack this thread, but have you tried letting the level of the sump that the feed to the pump is in get below the hose level? and then refilling and seeing if the pump will "pull" the water back up?

House

Yes I do that when I change my water. I get the Skimmmer side compartment all drained along with the return from where the 1" tubing feeds and still works.

I guess the vacuum that the pump creates is enough to restart everything.

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I used to run a genx 40 like that for my old becket skimmer. I think aslong as there is enough water in the U tube outside the tank to start a suction / siphon before it loses prime from the air bubble. its all good.

I am sure it works great but its just to much of an unknown for me. iIf i use an external pump I will drill it. I have to diamond hole cutter and drilling is crazy easy.. I was just tryin to cut down on space a little and the HUMMMM of the big pump.

gatojebv

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Yeah that would be ideal. I probably will do the same but I have not seen the urgency yet. I had the sump all set up before when I tried this. Now it is going to be painful to drill it and I am kind of postponing it. Moving things around and everything. If this a new sump you are better off drilling it.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Yeah that would be ideal. I probably will do the same but I have not seen the urgency yet.

The problem with these things is that it is never urgent until it becomes an emergency, hence sudden urgency :lol_large . I don't see a flood happening from your schematic, but I do see a potential pump running dry causing cavitation.

swimmer

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: