• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

topmav1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Now I love moonlights and the activity they allow me to see when my reg lights are off but I've noticed that at times when my timer shuts the moonlights off for a while(unintentionally) and the tank is dark, the corals seem to really close up more than what they do when the moonlights are on. It seems like they "sleep" better if that makes sense.

Thoughts?

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Yes amazing as it is my corals lps and sps(mainly) do not fully extend their polyps until it is completely black in the tank. I still run the moon lights for an hour or 2 but its only for me and the fish I do not find them beneficial to coral.

D

DA fisherman

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I've read that some people use red lights cause it's not detected by inverts or nocturnal animals , would that be better??? I'm only asking cause I have no clue lolz

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
What is your goal with the moon lights? Some people use them so they can still see their corals and fish at night. Others like the way the corals fluoresce with them. And even others are trying to mimic the natural moon cycles of 27 days between every new moon trying to trigger some natural spawning or feeding reaction in the fish/corals. There are also those who are getting them just because other people are getting them.

topmav1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
What is your goal with the moon lights? Some people use them so they can still see their corals and fish at night. Others like the way the corals fluoresce with them. And even others are trying to mimic the natural moon cycles of 27 days between every new moon trying to trigger some natural spawning or feeding reaction in the fish/corals. There are also those who are getting them just because other people are getting them.

I have them so I can basically enjoy the tank when the main lights are off and b/c I thought that the corals/fish would benefit from a "moon" type light. So I guess I can keep them on for 2 hours or so and then shut them when overnight??

I run my lights from about 2:30pm - 10:30 so if someone is here b4 the lights are on it sux w/o the moonlights.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
IMO, they serve little or no usefulness except for your viewing.
I also believe, again IMO, the polyps come out at night more to feed simply because little pods and other critters come out when its real dark in hopes the polyps can catch one of these creatures for food.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: