Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I am going to build a new sump, and plan to pickup beckett skimmer. I was wondering if changing the two out will cause any issues for my system?

Should I do the sump first, let it run for a week, then add the skimmer? or run the new skimmer on my existing setup for a week before adding the new sump?

Will I be messing things up and restarting another cycle?

Thanks

Rich

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
depending on your current statis a larger skimmer my strip all the nutrients from your water causing a mass die off in Alage and possibly corals
start slow( dont crank up the skimmer at first) monitor the tank you should be fine

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
You won't start a cycle, if anything a large beckett will prevent a cycle. You may lower your nutrients kind of fast which could cause bleaching to corals but just keep an eye out, you can always shorten your photoperiod and add more fish :)

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Deanos said:
What's in the sump now? If there's nothing alive in there now, changing should not cause any problems.

Nothing but equipment is in the sump... Heater, Skimmer feed pump, return pump and an MJ400 feeding a phosban reactor.

I'm going to go from a 24"x12" long sump to an 18"x14" long sump... and will be increasing the height of the baffles to allow the sump to hold more water. I will be removing the pumps and going with external pumps, in hopes to get lower electical use, and cooler water temps. I have a 1/3hp chiller, but I really don't want to have to use it in the winter, which is where I am heading (constant 84 degrees with cuurent setup) and thats using T5.

I also want to add a school of Green Chromis (5 or 6) and two clowns (yet to be determined). That along with my Tang and Potters Angel should increase my load allowing me to use a bit more powerful skimmer.

This is a 58, so it is a bit small.

Rich

Thanks for the replies.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Rich:

Get one or two of the small clip on fans. Have them turn on with the lights and blow air over the sump and over the tank. Make sure there is a vent in your stand for the hot air to escape, and you may even want to put a small PC fan blowing air out. This should drop your temperature by as much as 4 degrees. (It WILL cause you to evaporate a lot more water each day)

-Alfred

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: