BrooklynReef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 50%
2   2   0
Hi everyone. I just signed up. I'm hoping to set up a healthy seahorse tank.
I've been researching for months about setting up the tank and I still have some questions that are bothering me.
I would gladly accept any advice on how to keep my new friends happy and healthy. I'm starting to cycle the tank now.

My tank is a 55g hex that is about 25 inches in height as well as diameter. I have a Fluval 305 canister rated at 70 gal capacity, with a pump output of 260 gph.

I read I should post my questions all at once so here goes. Thanks for your time in advance!

Since I dont want to surround them with many other fish, I was hoping to also keep some corals. I know that you should keep the seahorse no warmer than 74 degrees, yet most of the corals that are listed to coexist with seahorses function better at higher temps like 76-80. I also read that (even though they dont like strong currents) if you have a submerssible powerhead, that would help with higher temps. What temp should my tank be? How cold can say a corals like zoanthids, mushrooms, acanthastrea, or finger leather be ok? Are there better types of coral that would do well with seahorses? Ideally something they could interact with, that would not sting/scratch them?

Ive heard conflicting reports on Clownfish compatibility. I see youtube videos of Seahorses sharing tanks with all sorts of fish people say they shouldnt. While Im usually ok with pushing the envelope, I dont want to take any chances with the seahorses, they seem super defenslesss, and I dont want them to get hurt. I guess the biggest problem is stealing food, however if great care was taken to make sure the clowns were fed, would it be a problem? Especially if the clowns were introduced to the pre-existing tank as tiny babies with adult seahorses?

Should I get a submersible pump for the corals? Can I fashion it so it doent bother the seahorses? Can I just put a regular pantyhose over the submersible to protect them? Are there any that have guards, or is there any other way to protect the seahorse?

I have a fitted hood t8 florescant light fixture with 3 sockets that currently house 15w bulbs (not sure of the color temp). Can I replace these with 3 higher watt bulbs to help with the corals? Do i need to switch to t5? I heard Metal lights will be too hot for the seahorses.

Do I need a sump? Do I need a chiller? Do I need a protien skimmer?

Will they be ok with the submersible heater?

If I'm cycling with live rock, should I remove the bio-media from my canister to prevent high nitrate levels?

Do I need to quarantine any livestock first since there are no fish in the tank?

I guess I need a lot of advice! Any info on setting up a seahorse/reef tank would be greatly appreciated.

Also, where are some good Aquarium/Fish supply stores in NYC?

THANKS!! Happy Holiday's!!!
Chris

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I was planning on setting up a seahorse tank (it never happened, as I got too busy), but did a ton of research on it.

I don't want to try to dissuade you if you really have your heart set on seahorses, but if you've never kept a reef tank before, you may want to think about starting with some easier animals. Seahorses are considered a very advanced animal due to their very special care requirements.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: