Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have 220 gal tank with 3 250 watt mh. During day my tank temp is 79. I dont use chillers or heaters cause my office has central. i came to work early at 6 am an noticed the temp drops to 74. Is that of. My fish are great, my corals are not.

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
you can run 2x 500w heaters on a DC8? are they both on the same strip or did you have to split them up?

I had the same problem at my office, temps get in the 60's and i bought a apex to monitor the temp, i would get 1-2x 500w heaters to be safe. That is to much of a swing for coral to feel comfortable and can cause death

I have 2 enegy bars(one on each) and i think they sell the high output ones if you want to run both on one strip if you think its to many amps

What are high output energy bars? I know there's the DC4HD which is what I run mine on but I'm switching over to the Apex and I was wondering if there's something similar to the DC4HD for the Apex

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Widebody - what temp are the heaters set for?

You may need to run them slightly higher and run fans when the lights are on to take the edge off the heating.

Also - heater are BEST run off a controller so it can shut them down if it gets too hot in the tank. 74 is too chilly :(

Chris Jury

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto what Kathy and others have said: 74 F is relatively cool. A heater and a small fan should, in combination, allow you maintain pretty comfortable temps. I would probably set the heater to 77, 78 F--somewhere around there--and would make sure the tank isn't rising above about 82 F or so during the day. That's a pretty good working range IME. A couple degrees higher or a few lower isn't the end of the world, but is probably suboptimal for our purposes.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: