alrha said:i was planning on actually underdosing my first treatment (to kill many, but not all the FW at once) so that there will be a smaller impact of their toxins.
and upping the doses on subsequent treatments...
i have a 200 gal system (30" deep + 8" canopy = 38"). siphoning really is not possible without ripping my tank apart.masterswimmer said:The presiphoning of them while they are alive is the key to removing the toxins. You can do it whichever way you feel comfortable. I posted a proven method for me. I'm sure there's other ways to do it also. I had great success with this method.
Thanks master, we appreciate your help and insights...masterswimmer said:Like I said, to each his own. My sequence of attack worked perfectly for me. I haven't seen even one FW or had to siphon even once since I treated with my prescribed method. Do as you wish. I wanted to offer assistance to rid your tank of them once and for all. I said there are probably other ways to do it. The other ways appear to have supplemental treatments (continued weekly siphoning), mine hasn't required ANYTHING else.
masterswimmer said:The Flat Worm Exit is not toxic to your tanks inhabitants. However, like alrha mentioned above, the toxins released from the dead/dying FW's are toxic. With this in mind, it is better to add an overdose of FWE to your tank than to add too little.
- I have a 75 gallon tank, 15 fuge and about 10 gallons in my sump, for a total of ~ 100 gallons. I used five full bottles of FWE during the treatment on my system. I didn't use them all at once, but I did use them all during the one week of treatment.
Habib (on Reef Central) said:The safe dosage is a mix of many factors.
FWE itself is save for other stuff besides FW but not if allowed to remain for a very long time.
Very high dosages in combination with time will affect bristleworms and small brittlestars but not limited to them.
It is tricky to do a treatment at very high dosages and/or in combination with long treatment times. It will be unpredictable simply because a system consists of many different organisms.
If you can easily locate the large FW's and there not to many a local application would be possible. calculate the amount for a single dosage for that tank and dissolve it in some tankwater and mix and use that as a concentrate to apply in their neighborhood. This will fail if the uptake rate is low. Don't mistake treatment time with the time needed to see the effect.
I'm afraid that this might not be of much help but I can't recommend procedures that could kill a tank.
Perhaps we all together (we hobbyists and/or manufctr) will come up with something.
alrha said:Feel better Russ - what did you do? drink a bottle of FWE to prove your point? :joke:
:lol: :lol: :lol:masterswimmer said:Don't be ridiculous, I broke it up into two doses!! lmao
Remember habib's note on overdosing and longevity of treatment. I split my doses to avoid that combination.
alrha said::lol: :lol:
i see. but at 300 drops in 200 gals, i wouldnt think that is much of an overdose, you dosed that much into your 100 gal system!!!
alrha said:my tank it too big to be able to siphon. what i did was put a net over my return to catch the ones floating around.
i was hoping the carbon would be able to handle it.
i just pray that it will catch up and that everything will recover once it does and that there is no permanent damage