InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Hi guys
I woke up this morning to a non functioning skimmer, found the bubble blaster pump had crapped out, I new I shouldn't have cleaned it. I'm not having any luck lately with pumps, this is the 5th pump to fail on me in the past two months.
Anyway do you think I will be OK without a skimmer for about 2 weeks?

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Jarrett,

How will his Po4 increase? If he is using a good food source, this is unlikely to happen. Also, if he is running phosban or a like type media, won't that offset the Po4?

Inf - people run full-blown reef tanks all the time with no skimmer at all. If you have animals that require absolutely pristine water (SPS for example) you may see a change in colors (sometimes for the better) with increased proteins. You may also see a decrease in clarity (unless you're running carbon).

Water changes may be increased in frequency to offset any additional protein build-up. That will not help with clarity though. Best advice is to offset the increase of possible proteins by not adding too many more proteins (over feed, more fish etc)

Good luck with the replacements.

House

+1 the problem is you will get some p04 increase if you dont do your wc, i know alot of people who either dont run a skimmer or have one that does not work that well and they do there 1 week wc and still good

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
House
I'm running GFO & Carbon in MR1 reactors and a sulfur denitrifier, I'm just a little uncomfortable about not running my skimmer, it pulls out some really nasty stuff.
I bought my SRO-XP-2000 cone skimmer about a little over a year ago, the body has a 1 yr warrantee with the pump having a 3 year warrantee. I hope Coralvue's turn around is quick.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Add a hang on the back filter ..as Russ said peopel run reef tanks w/ no skimmer at all. I have done it both ways. 1 of my set ups has 2 skimmers a hang on the back and an in sump. Mostly because I'm lazy and hate doing water changes. LOL Either way is ok don't stress it. I have some pumps I'll be putting up for sale soon hit me up dude.

JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
jarrett,

how will his po4 increase? If he is using a good food source, this is unlikely to happen. Also, if he is running phosban or a like type media, won't that offset the po4?
House

your right in some what russ, just was not sure if he had gfo or any media . If he feeds heavy he might have some issues with po4 increase, like flakes,oily food,etc..

I also seen read and saw of sps tanks fail due to not having a skimmer

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: