2Sunny

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Way to go Randy! Never a more deserving person have I known! Now for all the tank details . . . How long have you had the clam? Do you feed SPS or clam food? The growth is outstanding so I'm dying to know what your routine is, and I especially want to know what your secret is with the echinata. Mine is barely growing even after 2 years.

Congrats!

Joe

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Way to go Randy! Never a more deserving person have I known! Now for all the tank details . . . How long have you had the clam? Do you feed SPS or clam food? The growth is outstanding so I'm dying to know what your routine is, and I especially want to know what your secret is with the echinata. Mine is barely growing even after 2 years.

Congrats!

Joe

Thanks Joe! Coming from you that means a lot. FYI we plan to update this thread and a coming blog post with lots more pictures, so stay tuned for that.
Now on to your questions:

The tear drop maxima is at least 7 years old maybe more dating back to when Jason was still at House of Fins! No SPS or Clam foods are fed, just the fish -heavily, a few times a day with as wide a range of frozen and dry foods as possible. The system is run skimmerless and relies on a massive amount of Cheatomorpha for nutrient export. To help support the Cheato I add, iron and iodine in a rather haphazard manner--not sure what effect it has on other organisms, but it def. helps the chaeto grow better. I find the system runs better with a modest NO3 reading and target @ 5ppm as ideal. This also fuels the Chaeto and makes PO4 the limiting element for its growth and thus keeps PO4 in check. I also run carbon 24/7. That is it really. regarding the echinata ( I always thought it was turaki, but who knows for sure ? ) I have no secret. It grows like a weed for me--high light, medium flow, and seems to not transport well to other systems. I have a heck of a time keeping Seriatopora though. Go figure!

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
The pictures are amazing but don't do this tank justice. Congrats Randy.

I got a little weak in the knees when I saw this tank for the first time. Kneeling down and looking into the tank made everything else in the room disappear for that moment. Something I only hope to be able to re-create. And Randy's love of the hobby is icing on the cake. TOTY I vote :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing good!
No more reef tank @ home but I steel have a few reef friends over here.
Taking reef pictures once in a while, when I pay them a visit, that's about how much salt is left in my life after 10 years of reef-keeping.

And my English is getting worse and worse ... may be I should stop by the Writting Center and get some help!? ;)

Toine

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: