Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
You still didnt say what you doin with the ro water your making to produce the waste water.

Since I had the RO unit left over from when I last sold all of my stuff off I guessed I'd keep t for drinking water. RO/DI water tastes bad and comes out slow and I wanted to add a faucet to my kitchen sink (search for the thread) so I hooked both lines (RO & Waste) together to get a stronger stream of water. It tasted good so we've been using it ever since.

The logic was that since the water goes thru the carbon and sediment canisters first it can't be worse than straight tap water. It definitely doesn't taste the same.

After some additional reading I realized that TDS would probably be higher in that the RO membrane is getting flushed with the waste water. But if this is happening at a steadier rate than if I were collecting the RO water (having both lines connected) then it wouldn't be much higher than the initial tap water and at least we're filtering the sediment and chlorine out, right?

I'm with Randy here. I am totally confused why you would use the waste water.

It is good to have excitement about the hobby, but I think you know you are asking for trouble. At least it seems like the rock was cured.

At least I think the rock was cured :) It's like when you first start up and you're testing everything every day. As you progress you really stop testing for ammonia and keep it to calcium and Phosphate. Sorta like that.

You asked the questions but than buck the answers? Why ask than?

Then? I'm merely trying to start a discussion about alternate methods of reefkeeping. Obviously I love critters or I wouldn't keep them and I'm monitoring their health on a daily basis.

I'm simply wondering if it can be done. Could having a host of growing coral outweigh the algae bloom issue? I mean if the coral is consuming most of the nutrients out of the water column wouldn't that leave less for [undesirable] algae?

Last edited:

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Ok Then what about the issue off having inadequate space for the fish you have? I still think the whole water thing is retarted, just drink tap it would be cheaper. But you have too many fish and a yellow tang and small angels do not belong in a 26 gal tank!

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I'm simply wondering if it can be done.

People have survived falls from airplanes... I'm not planning on skydiving without a parachute.

Alternate methods of reef keeping are running skimmerless, or utilizing large amounts of natural filtration to create a natural balance. Not feeling like waiting for RO water is not an alternate method, it's being lazy.

While we're on bad ideas... I hate the tang police mentality, but that tank is WAY too small for a tang, and WAY too young for livestock.

I don't know what your level of experience is, but what you're doing isn't experimenting, it's just being lazy.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Then? I'm merely trying to start a discussion about alternate methods of reefkeeping. Obviously I love critters or I wouldn't keep them and I'm monitoring their health on a daily basis.

Wow.....Just wow. Why would you put them through the torture of breathing heavy ammonia and nitrite water if you loved them so much?

I'm simply wondering if it can be done. Could having a host of growing coral outweigh the algae bloom issue? I mean if the coral is consuming most of the nutrients out of the water column wouldn't that leave less for [undesirable] algae?

No it can't for the simple fact that corals don't consume the nutrients that create the algae. Po4 has to be removed as well as No3. And the few corals that do take care of the undesirable algae nutrients need to be massively grown to take care a small amount of water.

No offense, its late in the game to think your going to recreate the wheel here. If any of your thinking was right all of the lazy and newbie people doing everything wrong would in reality have amazingly clean tanks. Actually all of our (reefers) lives would be much much simpler because we wouldn't have to worry about silly things like Po4 and no3 because our coral would be taking care of everything. All of those reefers with 3 year old tanks with full growth would magically clean themselves.....and do our dishes..... and feed our fish for us and pay our bills.

In order to have a discussion about alternative methods of reefkeeping or any topic you need to be knowledgeable and experienced in the field of topic. All we are doing is reading in amazement at how large your ego is and how far off you are and hoping some new reefer doesn't read your thread and copy you thinking its right.

I also would look into long term affects from drinking the RO and DI water. =0)

Last edited:

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Sorry, its late and I was mean. :sleeping:

Hardly....

Now this.....

BIggest+Idiot+on+the+Internet+v3+930px.png

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Just got back from an amazing trip diving in Honduras and I log on to Mr to find things haven't changed. While I can't add anything to what our more competent members have already posted ( although I could undoubtedly be more biting ), I think this thread should be brought up when people argue that join dates or post counts mean anything.

bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I asked this question earlier in my post, but you didn't answer...
are you drinking water that has gone through a DI filter?

You might want to read this..
http://www.finishing.com/110/17.shtml

Sorry if I wasn't clear earlier but the setup I have consists of carbon, sediment canisters and an RO membrane. Don't have the DI unit, so no, we're not drinking deionized water. Just a mix of both product lines from the unit which I'd imagine is a bit better than straight tap, no?

That article was interesting. Thank for posting the link.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I give up. I was really hoping for a "oh I now see that years of reefing experience from thousands of reefers and saltwater hobbyists really is true." :teeth: Do a little more research, you would be surprised that the "pristine" water thing is there for a reason.

I can link up 2-3 posts that were trying to do the same thing you are now and have failed muddy algae growth tanks. It would have saved you and all of us plenty of time posting things if you just did a little research as to why your not seeing tap water tanks in the hobby. In the end everyone would be happy because you would have had a successful tank and we would see pretty pictures without algae or problems.

Its been done successfully in a few tanks (not in the NYC area BTW) with really pristine water conditions though but not for long and all had to condition the water for chlorine. All it takes is a few WC's from contaminated batches of their water to screw up their tanks which ends up happening. A bad spell of rainfall will leach into the supply and mess with water readings. This is where the RO/DI comes in to play, you always know your getting great water for your expensive setup and little friends without having to worry about algae or other problems.

Im not getting into the tap water vs saltwater discussion as far as differences go in nutrients and minerals. There is a good read on another site about it.

bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Whatever. I have reinstalled the RO line separate from the wastewater line and found that since I have a faucet hooked up to the wastewater line it doesn't need to run in order to get RO water. I will do some testing now that my test kit has arrived but it seems for now one doesn't have to waste water to make RO water.

Still awaiting my lights but all seems well for now even tho my tank still seems to be cycling based on today's tests.

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Whatever. I have reinstalled the RO line separate from the wastewater line and found that since I have a faucet hooked up to the wastewater line it doesn't need to run in order to get RO water. I will do some testing now that my test kit has arrived but it seems for now one doesn't have to waste water to make RO water.

Still awaiting my lights but all seems well for now even tho my tank still seems to be cycling based on today's tests.

How are you making RO water without getting waste water? The waste water needs to go somewhere. Even at a warm temp and good pressure your going to make waste water. What does having a faucet on the waste water line have to do with it?

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
So you have no lights, your tank is cycling, you have a ton of livestock in there, and you own a magic RO/DI unit that doesn't make wastewater?

Just start your "Help! My tank crashed" thread now and reserve the first few posts for next week.

bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Just tested my RO water:

PH: 7.4
NH3/4: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 0

Tap water:

Waste water:

Haven't tested TDS because I have to buy a meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: