mic_1011

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
i have a 125 gallon with a 40 gallon refugium sump split into 3 sections. first section is drainage from main tank into sock filter with asm g3 skimmer. second is just sand and third is return pump and uv steralizer (coralife 18w turbotwist). so my question is how do i get plankton and will they breed in order to have a live and natural food source???

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
There is Phytoplankton and Zooplankton. I'm guessing you want Zooplankton since you want them to breed. Is there any reason you want them? People sometimes might want things like rotifers for raising baby fish, but if its just a live treat you want, you can setup a fuge which will grow lots of pods. Also, the UV may actually be prohibitive.

Deep Dive Coral

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
first off you need to take the uv off line... this will help big time. second you need to set up a seperate refugium. this is the best way. super slow flow. this will give the "fuge" ample amount of time to suck out any nutrients in the water. also seed the fuge with live copeopods. also wit the slow flow it will give ample amount of time for the pods to reproduce. lighting for the fuge is opposite of the tank or 24/7

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: