Savager

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
My mother in law is setting up new cafe in NJ. And she always love to see my fish tank and she was wondering if she can setup nice tank in her new business. It looks like we can put 120G tank and she ask me how much it will cost.

I only have very small tank and sumpless so I couldn't give her estimation. I was thinking maybe $5000?

What do you think guys? How much do you think it will cost to have very clean and healthy fish only tank for 120G tank?

Well, if it's not a tank, she'll get a big screen TV instead. I think that's the easier and safer way to do it since there's no maintenance but fish tank looks 100 times better than TV though.

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
tv's are everywhere. fish tank would be unique. I bet a fish only tank would go for ALOT less then 5000... For fish only there isnt much maintenance

Salesbig

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Savager said:
My mother in law is setting up new cafe in NJ. And she always love to see my fish tank and she was wondering if she can setup nice tank in her new business. It looks like we can put 120G tank and she ask me how much it will cost.

I only have very small tank and sumpless so I couldn't give her estimation. I was thinking maybe $5000?

What do you think guys? How much do you think it will cost to have very clean and healthy fish only tank for 120G tank?

Well, if it's not a tank, she'll get a big screen TV instead. I think that's the easier and safer way to do it since there's no maintenance but fish tank looks 100 times better than TV though.

Hey.. im selling a 120 setup.. here is the link
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9727

Savager

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
cali_reef said:
Tell her to go for a nice 50" plasma TV on the wall unless she is willing to pay someone to maintain it weekly.

$5k for a 120g fish only is doable. BTW, 120g is not that big for a fish only.

That's exactly what I told her yesterday. She'll probably get 60" DLP or Sony LCD projectiong TV. They are around $3000.

I'll tell her, it will cost around $10k and she'll definately go with TV. hehe

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
pmui said:
just get a internet hookup and ask one of the guys from M.R. for a internet cam of their tank...whooa a 50" tank, maintance free :teeth:

Cannot do it with a webcam. I tried that it sucks.

You have to use a pro digital camcorder like the canon xl1 and a real time Mpeg4 convertor or other pro-digital video stuff.

I would go for a tank. Worse come to worst, just school of demsels, or chromis still look 100 times better than a TV

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
deanos many people might not have fish tanks that go into the cafe lolz.. i think it would be cool to see a nice 120 gallon in a cafe... but then again it would need to be taken care of. so pretty much its up to your mother in law...

Savager

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Tonyscoots84 said:
deanos many people might not have fish tanks that go into the cafe lolz.. i think it would be cool to see a nice 120 gallon in a cafe... but then again it would need to be taken care of. so pretty much its up to your mother in law...

Well, it will be awsome to have a tank. I really think it's 100x better than anything TV out there, unless 100+ " LCD TV mounted on the wall. I probably have to take care the tank but I would love to do that for her. It's just a matter of how much it will cost to setup. And the place is ready to do construction, she has to decide rather she'll go with fish tank or not within next couple of days, she has to tell her interior designer.

It's just a matter of how much it will cost her. I think $5k will be ok but anything higher than that, she'll go with TV. I think she should go with TV too.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Don't go for the TV unless you have all HD stuff-especially video source!!! Don't let the showroom video fool us. The only times, I use the 42" Plasma is when I am watching the football in HD and the Japanese TV clips which they filmed in HD not just scale-up during broadcast. Any lower quality(including DVD) video, just look the same if not worse than a Trinitron.

For the sake of MR and yourself scrape the word TV in your head:smash:

Last edited:

Falco

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a 135g FOWLR and you can totally set one up for under 5 grand with all livestock included. What it comes down to is who is going to take care of the tank (you mentioned you) and how often you will need to do it.

Will the tank be free standing (stand and canopy) or will it be inwall? I would suggest inwall with a little fish room behind if you have the room. I would also suggest going the route of a non aggressive tank. The reason being that most aggressive fish tend to be messy eaters and could degrade the water quality quicker than smaller more community type fish. Also, I for one enjoy the look of more fish in tank than say 3 or 4 big ones.

The on-going cost of the tank is going to be more than it would be if she got the tv so make sure she understand that before she decides on the tank.

HTH

drunktank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
my professional opinion- a fish tank could be used in many ways (marketing/advertising) to promote the business, keep customers and bring in new cusomters. Its a great element to have. However the cost is great, depending on the size of the tank, maintance and location of the store. (where in NJ is she planning on opening up?) I could get her a good deal on new stuff, if she agrees to a maintance plan for the tank

however- with the cost and responsibility she mite want to wait and get the TV first and see how business does- then if she does well after 6 months invest in a tank. Its an awful lot of work starting a cafe or small business- so maybe the TV mite be better now- and down the road put some money aside and spring for a new tank.

griMReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drunktank said:
my professional opinion- a fish tank could be used in many ways (marketing/advertising) to promote the business, keep customers and bring in new cusomters. Its a great element to have. However the cost is great, depending on the size of the tank, maintance and location of the store. (where in NJ is she planning on opening up?) I could get her a good deal on new stuff, if she agrees to a maintance plan for the tank

however- with the cost and responsibility she mite want to wait and get the TV first and see how business does- then if she does well after 6 months invest in a tank. Its an awful lot of work starting a cafe or small business- so maybe the TV mite be better now- and down the road put some money aside and spring for a new tank.

yeah if she or someone in the family can't maintain then you're looking at like $50-$200 a WEEK in maintenance. i still can't believe that but once you hear the quotes you'll see how much service and support costs more than just one time costs.

drunktank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
griMReefer said:
yeah if she or someone in the family can't maintain then you're looking at like $50-$200 a WEEK in maintenance. i still can't believe that but once you hear the quotes you'll see how much service and support costs more than just one time costs.

nah, thats way to much. We charge something like 70-100 dollars a visit depending on the size of the tank, and how many ppl are needed. So a 120g needs to be serviced once-twice a month so its not that bad, and she can write it off as a taxable expesnse.

ezee

Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
Savager,

If the cafe is upscale and the decor can keep up with the aquarium, I would say go for it. For an upscale cafe, a nice aquarium can be the center of attraction and really differentiate the atmosphere. Can she pay you for the maintenance?

If not, a TV might be better.

Just my opinion.

E

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: