Hello guys. So I bought a calcium reactor, Precision Marine RFCA4, at the swap and unfortunately it leaked around the threads of the eheim 1048 pump it had. I tried fixing it but as I tightened the fitting into the threads it just cracked even more and gluing it has not worked for me. I think the pump is pretty old and the plastic has become somewhat brittle which is why the area around the threads keeps cracking. But anyways I was going to replace the eheim but it costs like $70 which is a bit ridiculous in my opinion for a pump that puts out just 159gph. I was looking around and I found a sicce syncra 0.5 which is like $45 with shipping and I think it's a way better pump even because it only uses 8 watts. Does anyone think it's a good idea to use this pump? Would it be possible to retrofit it onto my calcium reactor? All input is very much appreaciate. Thanks Fortunato

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Either pump can be replaced. with the feed pump however, all you need is enough flow to provide water to the reactor itself for effluent production. An existing return pump can be tee off to provide flow as a feed pump.

If what you are replacing is the circulation pump, just make sure its recommended ( same flow).

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I know there are cheaper alternatives but personally, I would rather pay a little more and have a pump with good reliability and designed for your particular reactor than spending time trying to plumb a different pump to make it work.

DEL

reef guy in jc
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I did the same when I got my reactor. Bought a used pump. Pump was too strong. I ended up having to buy a brand new pump along with new piping. Instead of saving money, I spent more. Just buy the same pump reactor comes with. Saves you money later on.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: