aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I knew that title would get peoples attention.
I am looking to get new lights for my new setup and came across these lights from Odyssea.
http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=12
They are rediculously cheap at $150 ( or realisticly priced for anything else other than aquariums)
I have mentioned them on this site and there is a huge 23 page thread about them on Reef Central but i havent been able to get a straight answer from anyone, so i am asking you guys at MR.
ARE THESE LIGHTS ANY GOOD?
Has anyone out there seen them? bought them? or know anyone who has them?
Aaron

[ April 07, 2005, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: aaron ]

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think they are just overdriven 150HQI's the thing about the lights is that the bulb they come with probably sucks so youre going to have to spend 50-75 on a new bulb anyway so for that price just get a quality name pendent. AB Oceanlight with a 10K is probably your best bet

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Hey jim, should you spend money on top quality bulbs as even with this added cost its still a killer deal. Or should you be concerned about the whole fixture? Isnt a ballast a ballast?

[ April 08, 2005, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: aaron ]

N

NYC OZ

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Check Reef Central under the Equipment forum. Do a seach for Odyssea. There is a huge discussion on these.

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have actually read all 23 pages of the RC thread and there is actually very little concrete argument for or against these lights, just a lot of speculation. There was some suggestions that the ballasts for these lights were actually not matched for the bulbs which concerned me. But there are also a couple of people who are very happy with them. There are the also horror stories like on the thread fishywoo posted, smoking ballasts and sparks! that pretty much finished it for me. I think i am going with a DIY ARO electronic ballast, at least i know what i am getting that way.
There was also an issue with the legs not being able to fit over a 24" tank as advertised.
Just too many risks to take i think.

[ April 08, 2005, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: aaron ]

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Aaron,

light set-ups are not all the same and some ballasts are different than others. Some bleed energy more than others and some can overdrive the bulbs leaving them with less life but better light quality and color. Bottom line (for me anyway) is that I pay for lighting (but search for good deals). I also paid for skimming.

For me the three things most important are rock, lights and a skimmer (chiller too as an addition)

The rest I can DIY, so, I save on the stand and hood and the rest (plumbing etc) I do myself.

Also, if you're concerned about electricity, just another reason why I say buy it from the vendor.

House

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Its just a 150W bulb, Hello lights lists their DE ballasts as 150-175 so i guess it doesnt really matter. On the RC thread people bulled their units apart and there was actually 150W printed on some of them. It seems they might be using whatever they can get a deal on at the time. A bit too dodgy for me.

Sorry jim, but i just cant afford to drop $1000 on a skimmer, lights and chiller. So it will have to be the DIY life for me.
By making your own box to put the lights in you can save at least $200.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Well, you can get a reto fit kit PFO ballast, reflector, socket w/extension and bulb from PA.com for $275 and a remora pro skimmer for $250 new and a Via Aqua Chiller for $220

So that is definately under a thousand by alot and if you buy them used, you can get an even better deal.

I hear you though, tough to spend the money, but for me, that is where the most important part of reefkeeping starts.

House

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Jim, my biggest problem was that i talked myself into a corner from the start- I said to my wife: "I'm thinking of starting up a Marine aquarium. Dont worry it wont cost much, I can do all the expensive work myself". I should have said "I'm getting involved in one of the most expensive and time consuming hobbies, so I'll be needing the crdit card. :)

Yessongs, the aquamedic was actually the other unit I was looking at getting, I'm just not sure how hanging would work out where I want to put it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: