Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I live in a 1 bedroom co op and my balanced billing is $190 a month
My tank is 75 gal with all usual pumps etc...runs LEDs and air is kept at 79 even when not home for tank but usually isn't running a lot as my co op is on ground floor and stays quite cool I still feel that $190 a month is really high
What u guys think?

Gwiz3005

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
hmmm Depends on the other major appliances you have in the coop (dw, fridge, dryers, etc) 190 is not that bad though.

I'm in a 1 BR also - I keep my air at 73 and I'm running 2 tanks (only 1 with T-5s). My bill is usually between 180-250 depending on the season.

mic_1011

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
dam.n, i'm in a 4 bedroom running 125g return pump, skimmer pump (sedra 5), uv sterilizer, and lights, along with washer dryer and regular appliances...bill is 160 and i thought that was a lot!

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I keep my air at 73
Not trying to single you out, and I know temp. is a 'personal' choice/preference...but IMO, 73* is too low. 76*-78* is very comfortable for 'air conditioned' air, and will save a LOT compared to 73*.
As a former business owner with over 60 employees, I have to admit to wanting to 'shoot' the people that constantly had to readjust the thermostats! Dropping it down to 60* does not make the air coming out of the unit any cooler, and the room will never reach 60*. More amazing, I realized that the people that wanted it to be 60* in the summer were the same people that wanted it to be 90* in the winter...76* is 76*... in fact, 76* in the winter is 'technically' warmer, because most people are wearing more/heavier/warmer clothing in winter.
I think that if you raised your thermostat a few degrees, you will barely notice the difference when you enter the apartment! However, you will definitely notice a difference on your electric bill.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I average $500 a month for the year. I would say that half of the bill is from this hobby and the kicker is that my electric rates is only 11 cents a killowatt.
I've always said that obtaining the equipment in this hobby is not expensive relative to maintaining the hobby!

bizzarro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I paid $100 with PSE&G in NJ last month for electric for a split level home.

I have a T5HO 4-39W 8 hrs/day, 2 pumps (1 for PS) and another FW tank with 2 canister filters and your typical appliances, plasma TV, electric dryer and washer, etc. I wonder how it will be with central air. I keep it at 79.

I work from home a good amount of the week so I also have my laptop on pretty much for the work day and then after work hours uage for another 3-4 hours. My commute is about $5 in gas and tolls so the savings is passed to the bill.

Last edited:

Jaynie1028

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
My bill runs at 500 and 600 a month. Last aug when it was above 98 very day my bill was 980 for one month. I wish we had 100 to 200 bills I would never complain. I have had lipa out here several times to check the meter and they say it's working fine.

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
My bill runs at 500 and 600 a month. Last aug when it was above 98 very day my bill was 980 for one month. I wish we had 100 to 200 bills I would never complain. I have had lipa out here several times to check the meter and they say it's working fine.

Sounds way too high. Are you running central air? Pool? Hot tub? Electric heat? Size of house?

For electric only, that's high. Check your bill to be sure you are being charged residential rate. Otherwise, u can have them come out and replace the meter.

Jaynie1028

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Yes I have been through it all with lipa. We have central air (not on yet) oil heat, the house is 2400 square feet with 3 bedrooms 3 bathrooms and a two bedroom apartment. A total of 4 people living in the house. We never leave lights on the tenants leave there lights on a lot. But still not enough to make our bills so high.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
Yeah that is a bit crazy... that would be like running the tv ac stereo and the mh 24h a day. You should get your place evaluated and see if there is something else tapping your system.

poormansdream

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Yes I have been through it all with lipa. We have central air (not on yet) oil heat, the house is 2400 square feet with 3 bedrooms 3 bathrooms and a two bedroom apartment. A total of 4 people living in the house. We never leave lights on the tenants leave there lights on a lot. But still not enough to make our bills so high.

Make sure your neighbors aren't growing Kush or sours next door and tapping in to your electric. LOL

WoW, $900

bizzarro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

By that statement, is the tenant's electric usage included? If it's a legal 2 family, you should seperate it on its own meter.

For the price you've been paying for electric, you should definitely consider solar, the system would have already paid for itself.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: