loneracer05

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 93.6%
44   3   0
If ur going to remove the sand my advice is have TON of fresh salt water ready for a big wc if need be,also amquil or prime ect.id go through it with a gravelvac before removing the sand just incase there are nasties, it will hopefully suck them out and help not felease them into your system.

frank arriaga

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Matt I went BB about 3 month ago I was always against it but the tank look great I removed the sand very time I did a water change it took about 3 month,water change very two weeks but the tank is 265 gal.I took my time.Also went with zeovit

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
You can do it like tirgger man says but there is a down side to that . Your sand bed has beneficial bacteria if you dont have enough live rock in you system you will start the nitrogen cycle again . Now if you remove it a little at a time you are building back up your beneficial bacteria with out casing problem.
There is not that much in the sandbed I think it does more bad than good because it holds so much phosphate.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: