Pallobi

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then it's not a refugium. To be a fuge there has to be some kind of life that is separate from the DT. It is taking refuge there.
You have a filter with live rock.

i disagree... a fuge is a place for life to go unharmed which doesnt necessarily mean macro or sand, they both do the same basic things as live rock, though the macro does a better job on phosphates than live rock, but that is all... and there is plenty of life in there... i do not need macro or sand for it to be a fuge as you say... believe me, i know what i fuge is, but thank you for your input...

so your telling me if i add a small clump of cheato, i then i have fuge? nonsense...

Last edited:

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I'm not the one telling you. The definition of the word is. Refugium has refuge as it's root. If nothing is taking refuge there then you don't have a refugium.
It doesn't matter what the efficiency of your substitute.

Pallobi

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, so the thousands of pods, many many featherworms, many sponges, and multiple other creatures are not taking refuge there? so if i throw a couple cups of sand in, and a handful of cheato, which will only die cuz there are no nutrients for it to live, i will then have a fuge as you call it?

you should probably understand if you have not seen my system before, i do things very much differently than most everyone you will ever see... i have absolutely no rock in my display and no sand or macro in my system... however i have a live rock "fuge" area for cultivation of organisms and beneficial bio bacteria...

maybe ill go add a handful of macro so it can die and you can tell me i have a fuge lol

very little in this hobby has a definitive definition on how it HAS to be... its about keeping an open mind and finding what works for oneself first and foremost...

Last edited:

Pallobi

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am also curious... what kind of life must it have in it, if what i have doesnt count, for it to be a fuge as to the definition you speak of? enlighten me :)

are you gonna tell me next that anyone who keeps even a damsel fish in their fuge, doesnt really have a fuge?

Last edited:

Pallobi

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure, but then dont tell people that they are wrong... cuz your opinion of the "definition" is different...

again, my barebottom, live rock filled fuge has plenty of untouched life in it... therefore making it a refuge for the life it hosts...

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
ok, so the thousands of pods, many many featherworms, many sponges, and multiple other creatures are not taking refuge there? so if i throw a couple cups of sand in, and a handful of cheato, which will only die cuz there are no nutrients for it to live, i will then have a fuge as you call it?

you should probably understand if you have not seen my system before, i do things very much differently than most everyone you will ever see... i have absolutely no rock in my display and no sand or macro in my system... however i have a live rock "fuge" area for cultivation of organisms and beneficial bio bacteria...

maybe ill go add a handful of macro so it can die and you can tell me i have a fuge lol

very little in this hobby has a definitive definition on how it HAS to be... its about keeping an open mind and finding what works for oneself first and foremost...

By the current, most used and honestly most accepted ideas/definition of a refugium than I would not call the setup your running a "Refugium" for the previous given reasons. Also from Wiki : Tropical Marine Refugiums often contain live rock and live sand, macroalgae, and sometimes scavenger microfauna such as micro brittle stars, tiny sea stars such as asterina, snails, and worms. To achieve maximum biological filtration through uptake of nutrients by macroalgae/mangroves, strong lighting is often utilized in the refugium. In this fashion, macroalgae algae growth is encouraged, competing with nuisance algae which would otherwise thrive in the main/display tank. Some also use refugiums to raise tiny brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, ostracods, amphipods, copepods and isopods for delicate fish like seahorses and dragonets to feed on
Honestly though your really splitting hairs to a point. If you feel it is and are happy calling it that, fine. No need really to get defensive, sarcastic or obnoxious.

As far as sand and macro dying from a lack of nutrients your wrong. The WHOLE POINT of the refugium is to provide a slow/low flow, NUTRIENT RICH environment which actually supports the growth of live sand and macro algae. Want proof it works? Stop by. I can give you a huge ball of "Dying" macro algae thats been cut back twice in 4 weeks ;)

Last edited:

Pallobi

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont wear panties lol... shoot, i dont even where boxers or briefs lmao... sorry if i insist that someone who tells me i am wrong clarifies themselves... as this is someting i do not do to others... i do things very much differently than most, and with very good success as i have a succesful sps system in its 2nd year of life and is by no means my first system... so when someone tells me i am wrong, which many do cuz i am not conventional, when all i am doing is sharing my opinion to the OP's question, i expect and explanation as i am not the one calling someone else wrong... sorry to jack the thread... guess i dont have a refugium, or so a couple here say...

PS: these are not ways to make newcomers feel welcome here...

Last edited:

Pallobi

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the record, its good when sps, high flow barebottom systems are ULN... unfortunately this prevents, or at least in my case, the growth of any macro of any kind as it jus dies within a week of adding cuz it starves off... i have tried on 5 seperate occasions this past year... the high nutrient thing you mentioned does not pertain to sps systems whatsoever... also many who keep ULNS do not have sand at all either as it harbor nutrients, which is what some do not want...

for the sake of legitimate conversation, does anyone else here keep a ULNS sps system? cuz when you get into sps only ULNS's, it changes things a bit...

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I would have to agree with Pallobi. Don't see any reason why his live rock with copepods supplying food to his DT wouldn't be a refugium. Look up cryptic fuges.

Having said that, mine has live rock, macro, sand, a hermit and a few stars to supply my Harlequins with fresh legs.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: