Pallobi

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They absolutely will not cause ur tank to evaporate quicker... ur tank will evaporate at its own pace pending a few factors... but having a dehumidifier is not one of them... though if u keep your tank in an area where ventilation is not suffice, having one helps with air moisture buildup tremendously and is basically needed for most setups in an under ventilated area... in the summer months especially...

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
A dehumidifier takes moisture out of the room, making it a more dry atmosphere, in turn it cause more evaporation from your tank. A better thing to do would be to get an air conditioner, it would expel the heat it creates outside where a dehumidifier just dumps the heat into the same area. You can also enjoy the cool yourself too. :)

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
A dehumidifier takes moisture out of the room, making it a more dry atmosphere, in turn it cause more evaporation from your tank. A better thing to do would be to get an air conditioner, it would expel the heat it creates outside where a dehumidifier just dumps the heat into the same area. You can also enjoy the cool yourself too. :)

+1, except the dehumidifier will not only dump the heat into the same room, but adds heat to the room. A super humid room will make your tank evaporate very very little, and evaporation has a cooling effect.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
You can have a dehumidifier vent out to the exterior where the heat will not be an issue. An air conditioner will merely make a moist room cold and damp, causing other issues such as mold. An air conditioner will not remove moisture from the air.

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
An air conditioner will not remove moisture from the air.

Alex that water that drips from an AC unit is water being removed from the area that it is cooling. AC units most certainly remove moisture from the air so long as they are sized correctly. An oversized unit that "Short Cycles" will have a hard time removing moisture. A properly sized AC unit, either window/wall or whole house will most certainly de-humidify the air.

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I use a dehumidifier in my basement, where all of my tanks are located. It runs when my heating or A/C unit is off. It was a must have for me because all the evaporation caused condensation to form on the tile floors and my tools were rusting. It does add heat to the room, but depending on the size of the room, that may be of little concern. Also, the dehumidifier increases the amount water that evaporates from my tanks, but not drastically.

The one down side is that when it runs it is loud. The noise is comparable to the noise a window A/C unit makes (perhaps slightly louder since the motor is inside the house instead of hanging out of the window).

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Alex that water that drips from an AC unit is water being removed from the area that it is cooling. AC units most certainly remove moisture from the air so long as they are sized correctly. An oversized unit that "Short Cycles" will have a hard time removing moisture. A properly sized AC unit, either window/wall or whole house will most certainly de-humidify the air.

+1. I have a dehumidifier in the basement also but around this time of the year , I have to wipe the water droplets off the tiled floor even with the dehumidifier on. Once I turn on the AC, it is all good.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0

You are correct, however most people don't buy a correctly sized unit for their windows. Or they may have a full home unit which as you indicated, will have a hard time removing moisture. It may be that these people need that extra dehumidifier to remove the amount of moisture they require from certain rooms.

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
You are correct, however most people don't buy a correctly sized unit for their windows. Or they may have a full home unit which as you indicated, will have a hard time removing moisture. It may be that these people need that extra dehumidifier to remove the amount of moisture they require from certain rooms.

Your right too many people go oversized when buying wall/window units thinking it's a more efficient way to go. But I never indicated a whole house unit would not be able to remove the moisture. On the contrary, they are usually the most efficient at doing so. I know, a technicality :)

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Your right too many people go oversized when buying wall/window units thinking it's a more efficient way to go. But I never indicated a whole house unit would not be able to remove the moisture. On the contrary, they are usually the most efficient at doing so. I know, a technicality :)

Hate to say it, you never know when the un-namable ( jeremy) might be listening and use it as a signature, but sometimes bigger AC is not better.:biglaugh::biglaugh:

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
I am listening and yes alex bigger is better you should know that by now oh wait!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's right you like those small m&m things lmfao
Hate to say it, you never know when the un-namable ( jeremy) might be listening and use it as a signature, but sometimes bigger AC is not better.:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Sent from my DROIDX using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: