JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Figured I'd update the thread for those interested with their pups. A close friend of mine brings his shiba inu to this park and says it absolutely awesome, clean, not muddy and everyone there has aggression free dogs. They also self police the area so there's no waste left behind by anyone.

This is the park I was thinking about having the first one. After that, I'm open for any suggestions so we can rotate between parks so that even if you had to commute to this one we can go closer to you next time and then closer to someone else the next time.

Here's the info on the park I'm aiming for since it seems most that have expressed interest have larger breeds:

West Hills Dog Parks

Large Dog Park (26 pounds or more)

The entrance to this 1.75 acre park is on Sweet Hollow Road just north of the intersection of Old Country Road and Sweet Hollow Road. There is a water fountain, and several benches and waste bag dispensers. When you visit a dog park make sure to watch and pick up after your dog.

Do not bring dogs that have aggression issues as the dog park is definitely not the place to work on them!

Directions: There are two ways to get there depending on which direction you're coming from.

From Jericho Turnpike turn south onto Sweet Hollow Road and go about 2 miles until you see Sweet Hills Horse Stables. The entrance to the park is right after the stables on your left. When you pull in you will see the dog park on your right. Please note that Sweet Hollow Road is narrow and winding, and bicyclists often use the road so you should exercise caution while traveling it.

From Old Country Road and Route 110 take Old Country Road West. In less than 1/4 mile you will turn north onto Sweet Hollow Road. Go about 1/2 mile and you will come to the entrance to the park on your right side. Turn in and you will see the dog park on the right. If you pass the stables you have gone too far.

Small Dog Park (25 pounds or less)

This small dog park occupies the location of the former West Hills Dog Park off High Hold Drive. It is covered in new grass and has had new benches installed. It is also slated to get a new water fountain. The Suffolk County Parks Department has done a great job of creating a safe place for the owners of small dogs who want a park where their dogs can play!

Directions: Enter the park off Round Swamp Road (north of the Northern State Parkway and south of Jericho) at High Hold Drive. Drive approximately 1/4 mile until you see a gravel parking lot on your left. Park there and walk across the street to the dog park.

I am going to get them home, work on their manners a bit and when I feel they're ready I'll be ready and they'll be over 25LBS. by then(they're already pushing 13+ lbs.). I'm figuring maybe set up a date maybe the weekend of August 11th?

Any input is more than welcome.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
On the internet there are mixed reviews from everything to people not picking up poop to agressive attacks but a lot of reviews that are great too. I am going to be going to look at it in person a bunch of times before we actually use it. I just read also they charge to use it now- $8 for the day during the summer, so maybe if anyone knows a good place for free that would be better. Last thing I want to do is cost people money to socialize their little buddies.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
West hills is huge and really nice. There is one out east that is 3 times as large but get extremely crowded very fast. There is another in seaford which is cedar park I believe which is rather small and almost guaranteed for some doggie brawls. I have been to pretty much all large doggie parks on long Island..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
What town is this located? Looks like fun

Eric, it's in Huntington.

West hills is huge and really nice. There is one out east that is 3 times as large but get extremely crowded very fast. There is another in seaford which is cedar park I believe which is rather small and almost guaranteed for some doggie brawls. I have been to pretty much all large doggie parks on long Island..

Cool, well like I said my buddy takes his dog there and loves it. Maybe the first one could be there, we can occupy a section that will be all us and easy to make sure everyones dogs are safe and good to go, then since you've been to all of them Weico we can let you decide on some others to use.

These meetings obviously will be a democratic decision, not a single person saying where we go. We'll all decide together as a group

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I dont mind where we go. My dog loves all places and love car rides especially with the top down. So I am down to travel whereever. I like west hills because its really nice and open and they have a water fountain for the dogs. You let me know the time and location and I will be there..

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
They charge?? is this a public park? It's a bit too far for me. By me there is a big park (for brooklyn is big)Dyker dog park, on 86th st and 7ave. It doesn't have a section for small dogs, and there is no water. Most of the times the park is good, but sometimes fights do happen. My dog gets along with everybody so I never had problems there. My dog is about 96lb.

Last edited:

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
They charge?? is this a public park? It's a bit too far for me. By me there is a big park (for brooklyn is big)Dyker dog park, on 86th st and 7ave. It doesn't have a section for small dogs, and there is no water. Most of the times the park is good, but sometimes fights do happen. My dog gets along with everybody so I never had problems there. My dog is about 96lb.

Well like we've been talking about, we're going to rotate locations for exactly that reason- nobody will be forced to keep commuting- the one after give us a suggestion. I will always be good with traveling.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
My dog travels well in the car, so I might take a ride in long island, and if there is some coral swapping :idea: thrown in there, it might make it even more appealing..Something to consider.

LOL maybe with the corals ya never know. We could always, well at least I'd be more than willing to travel to you as well for the second one. A little drive for our pups happiness and good times is well worth it, plus if they already like car rides it's a dual bonus- a ride and an afternoon of fun with friends for them especially after they all know each other.

Only change I've had is I wound up getting 2 girls instead of 1.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
There is also a place just off the Grand Central Pkwy right across from Flushing Meadows Park. Fountains within a short walk... no charge, and not many people use the dog park. There is also seating within and a smaller section gated off for other dogs.

Maybe worth a look at especially since it is right off the highway and free.

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Sounds good skene and fishman I'm in on both.

Bizzaro $8 isnt astronomical when they have a huge place to maintain even just grass in, provide waste bags, water fountains for constant supply of water for the dogs and plenty of sitting areas for owners.
I don't know about long island, but the park where I take my dog to, dyker dog park, we, the owners, take care of the park. Those duties include, empty the heavy garbage bags, cleaning the park, buying the bags, buying the pick up after your dog signs, bringing benches, chairs, etc.etc..ohh and the park is owned by the city.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
The girls had their final round of shots yesterday so anyone that's still in for the get togethers I'm going to go scope out the park in huntington and get the low down.

I'll take pics and post them and all the info(my buddy says they charge on the weekends but is still worth it how the park is set up).

I'll have all the info posted in a few days and like mentioned before we can do the rotation thing throughout multiple parks to accommodate everyone convenience wise so nobody that goes to multiple ones is stuck always driving long distances.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Yea definitely let me know. I also have a pool if you wanted bring the munchkins over for a dip. Laila doesnt like the water that much but when its hot out I bring her in anyway and she loves it..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: