Charley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Was just how many people have had their tank wiped out by introducing 1 new fish to their tank. But great if you can the experience and thoughts.

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
not quite a wipe out but introduced a new purple tang that gave intestinal worms to all of my fish. another time i had a cardinal fish spread finrot to my other tank mates. we need to start to QT more and less dumping fish in the tank hoping it survives.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
Someone needs to start there own QT business. They would make a killing. I would but I'm too far away.
The buyer of the fish and the person doing the QT would have to come to some sort of arrangement or agreement on what happens if fish doesn't make QT
I have met a few people who have tremendous experience in qt. I would trust them completely

Charley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Not even sure if there is agreement on what a QT should be, what chemicals,etc should be used and for how long. I think I will put a new fish in a 29gal biocube because that is what I have, no chems, etc and watch for 30days. If OK and eating, will introduce to the main tank....

Rating - 100%
161   0   0
i lost a bunch, a few $$$$ worth by adding a fish not to long ago .qt to me is stressful on most fish, but i do think its worth it to keep what u have safe ,if a fish dies in qt good chance it would have anyways in ur main and maybe spread something, wrasses can be a little tuff to qt

greg 45

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Learned that lesson long ago mixing wild caught with tank raised. The tank raised go brooklanella and wiped out all the new fish. My original fish were able to survive. Be careful what you mix and match. The stores know what's wild and or tank raised. ask 1st

saltykid85

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
adding a fish is always a hold your breath scenario. tangs and angels you can qt all day, usually not an issue. wrasses, foxfaces, mandarins not so much. so now you have ich free display with hippo, powder blue you quarantined, but after losing a mag foxface in qt several times, you decided to just place next one in main. and low and behold, ich.

its amazing, it really is, we have apexs that can track and regulat mls over a month, lighting with every single part of the spectrum controllable, powerheads with the motor on the outside of the glass, but we cant figure out how to effectively place fish in without disease.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
Cause if they found a way to eradicate diseases it wouldn't be suckers like all of us continuing to buy fish. We would all have the fish we want living for years to the point we don't need or want anymore fish. Then who's gonna buy? Sort of like the common cold. We all get sick. But if they found a remedy how many pharmaceutical companies would be out of business?

clasystems

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm still not convinced that there is a 100% guaranteed way to QT fish. Some fish are immune to an illness they carry yet can pass it to all other fish. If you cant see what you're treating what do you treat for?

saltykid85

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I'm still not convinced that there is a 100% guaranteed way to QT fish. Some fish are immune to an illness they carry yet can pass it to all other fish. If you cant see what you're treating what do you treat for?

I cant argue with that assumption, however, knowing parasites have a direct life cycle, by interfering with it via copper, tank transfer, etc, you can stop it. Problem is anything wet you put in your tank, from a live rock, snail, frag, macro algae, must also be quarantine (placed without a fish host for 72 days).

In reality, you can, but its not practical. At least not for me.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: