da2145r

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Doing research on the acclimation process for Anthias I read that when first introduced to the Aqaurium they hide during this stage im worried as with feeding since they need 2-4 feedings a day will they be able to eat in hiding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Purple Queens (Pseudanthias Tuka) one of the more difficult species to acclimate and get eating. I had them for many years. They do better in a group with most( not always) staying in the rock work for a couple of days before the brave ones start venturing out. Then the difficult task of getting them to start eating. I had good success with NutraMar Ova, fish roe etc.... they need to be fed multiple times a day because they only eat small food items and are active. I gradually was able to ween them onto .5 mm pellets so I was able to use a feeder. GL

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Purple Queens (Pseudanthias Tuka) one of the more difficult species to acclimate and get eating. I had them for many years. They do better in a group with most( not always) staying in the rock work for a couple of days before the brave ones start venturing out. Then the difficult task of getting them to start eating. I had good success with NutraMar Ova, fish roe etc.... they need to be fed multiple times a day because they only eat small food items and are active. I gradually was able to ween them onto .5 mm pellets so I was able to use a feeder. GL

Exactly right. I would add that if you have never kept anthias before this a bad species to start with. While experienced keepers like Mike have had success, the vast majority don't do well in captivity.

I always recommend Bartletts as a pretty, hardy and not overly aggressive species to start with. They school well with Dispars if you want to add a second species.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: