E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Since I've had the Midi and it's been setup as an all in one (long story..) for the past few years, I feel I'm out of the loop when talking about new skimmers on the market. This will be for a 90 gallon tank with 30 gallon sump.

I've read about Skimz, IceCap (odd they're coming back after years out of the aquarium scene, but they have Sicce pumps which is a plus), Aquamaxx, Reef Octopus has a few new lines, Vertex Omega (I had the smallest model but never set it up due to tank changes), ATB has a new Nano model out (with a Jecod pump, which is kind of crazy for an ATB skimmer)...

What else is out there? What new skimmer are you using, and what do you think? Anything I should stay away from?

I prefer QUIET operating, best bang for the buck, solid performing skimmers, and I tend to stay away from cheap knock off motor blocks.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I posted this almost a year ago, but I still have not setup the 90. Looking to do that now. Still have no skimmer. Anyone have the new NYOS Quantum line? I've read some mixed reviews. Apparently the ATB Nano had been reliable, even with the knock off pump.

Bubble King has an interesting looking double cone, and I've heard the Vertex Omega line is mixed- most said the 130 was hard to dial in and not a great air/water balance. I have not heard that about their larger models.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I looked at them and they seem to be on the expensive side compared to other skimmers. What I don't like about them is there are screws that hold the skimmer bottom in place, which makes it hard to clean. Other skimmers have little clips, which you can just move to the side and the skimmer comes apart really easy.

bonomo53

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
What skimmer did you have before the NYOS? Also how big is your tank?

Ran a skimz on my old tank and it was a great skimmer but IMO the NYOS is on a whole other level as far as performance and build quality. Currently running in on a reefer 425 which is apox 110 gallon system heavy stocked around 15 fish and mostly sps. The other thing that i considered was that ecotech is support for these skimmers so if i ever need a replacement part i can just call them up and get it within a day or two.

Last edited:

beang

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
icecap k-2 160

First of all, I would like to state that this is an honest review based on a real experience. I do not mean to advertise any product.

I had used icecap k2 160 for my reefer 525xl for the last 4 months up until a few days ago.
Unfortunately, I can not say anything good about it.

It never skimmed consistent and I could never dial it in perfectly.
A lot of micro bubbles always escaped from the outlet and it never had enough density of the bubbles inside the chamber compared to vertex omega 150.
I waited a while thinking that because it is a new skimmer so it may need some time to start performing the way it should be and it never did.

A few days ago, I wanted to clean it up and tried to remove the intake fitting, which is the first step to disassemble the skimmer.
The intake fitting was stuck badly, which is a push in attachment through the hole on the skimmer body to the pump inside.
The air intake nipple on it got broke so easy while trying to twist the in take fitting to loosen it.
Lastly, the bottom of the skimmer cone body, where the screws are attached came off at the glued joint.

Since I couldn't use the icecap skimmer, I decided to put back omega 150 at work, which I used in my smaller tank before I set up the existing tank.
I saw a great difference in its performance within 10 min. than what icecap does.
Foam production and the density of the bubbles inside the chamber much greater than icecap.

It was a huge mistake and waste of money to over look at what I already have in hand.

Last edited:

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Ran a skimz on my old tank and it was a great skimmer but IMO the NYOS is on a whole other level as far as performance and build quality. Currently running in on a reefer 425 which is apox 110 gallon system heavy stocked around 15 fish and mostly sps. The other thing that i considered was that ecotech is support for these skimmers so if i ever need a replacement part i can just call them up and get it within a day or two.

You're right about Ecotech service. It's solid. I like the new Red Sea tanks.. They're slick looking.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
First of all, I would like to state that this is an honest review based on a real experience. I do not mean to advertise any product.

I had used icecap k2 160 for my reefer 525xl for the last 4 months up until a few days ago.
Unfortunately, I can not say anything good about it.

It never skimmed consistent and I could never dial it in perfectly.
A lot of micro bubbles always escaped from the outlet and it never had enough density of the bubbles inside the chamber compared to vertex omega 150.
I waited a while thinking that because it is a new skimmer so it may need some time to start performing the way it should be and it never did.

A few days ago, I wanted to clean it up and tried to remove the in take fitting, which is the first step to disassemble the skimmer.
The in take fitting was stuck badly, which is a push in attachment through the hole on the skimmer body to the pump inside.
The air intake nipple on it got broke so easy while trying to twist the in take fitting to loosen it.
Lastly, the bottom of the skimmer cone body, where the screws are attached came off at the glued joint.

Since I couldn't use the icecap skimmer, I decided to put back omega 150 at work, which I used in my smaller tank before I set up the existing tank.
I saw a great difference in its performance within 10 min. than what icecap does.
Foam production and the density of the bubbles inside the chamber much greater than icecap.

It was a huge mistake and waste of money to over look at what I already have in hand.

Thanks for the feedback on the Ice Cap. Goes to show how important design and build quality actually are. Vertex skimmer bodies are usually built like tanks.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I've been paying more attention to the Skimz but I'm not sold yet. Not saying I won't buy one. I hate to say it but I like the Reef Dynamics INS-135. It's got an old but reliable Euro-Reef design with a Sicce 1000 pump. For $240.

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I?d go with a deltec. They have extremely solid motors, can be field stripped in seconds without tools and produce almost twice the air draw to water ratios of their competitors. It?s what you?d expect from a German company, really well engineered and reliable.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: