STRIPERVIPER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.8%
161   2   0
Tank size

I have a Red Sea max650. So it?s 180 gallons total volume. The regal is running for about a week now and it?s really starting to produce some nice dark skimmate. I had a magus nac7 that was hard for me to get dialed in but it was undersized for my tank so that was part of the problem. The regal is pricey but I feel based on the quality of the materials and construction it was money well spent. Time will tell.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I?d go with a deltec. They have extremely solid motors, can be field stripped in seconds without tools and produce almost twice the air draw to water ratios of their competitors. It?s what you?d expect from a German company, really well engineered and reliable.

The newer Deltecs seem to use a modified Jebao pump. I like the overall design and the fact that you can break them down completely. Looks like Marine Depot is the only importer of the Deltec Skimmers right now.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
atb 840 was best out the box skimmer ive owned, my old vertex in100 with sicce 2500 was best skimmer i had used on any of my systems but it was best balanced also

I like the 840, and the price has gone down recently (I think it's because of the newer knock off pump they're using but I could be wrong. There's a lot of competition out there too). Same as the ATB Nano. I tried the Vertex IN-100 w/ Sicce 1000 pump combination and was very happy with it when I used it on my last tank.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Did you ever decide which skimmer to get? A lot of the recommendations are ones that I am looking at as well. I am looking at either a RO, NYOS160 or Deltec.

I am personally leaning towards Deltec unless I can find a reason the other 2 options or another option is worth the look.

Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I've been running a Bubble King Super Marin 250 for 3 plus years. BK is considered the Rolls Royce of skimmers. I decided to get a Deltec and run them at the same time. The Deltec is smaller and skims just as much as the BK. The skimate is identical and the Deltec is less then half the price. Since I started running the Deltec the BK skimmer collection cup has been filling up less. That means the Deltec isn't removing anything extra at all rather just splitting the load with the BK. The BK is built better and has an awesome red dragon pump etc.... But all in all for the price I would go with Deltec since performance is exactly the same. Same nutrient export, same dialing in, same breaking down for maintenance.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Thank you for the feedback Adamc. Made my decision right there that much easier. I have heard the same thing from everyone that uses a deltec. Have not seen a bad review yet but I have seen here and there for every other skimmer.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I've been running a Bubble King Super Marin 250 for 3 plus years. BK is considered the Rolls Royce of skimmers. I decided to get a Deltec and run them at the same time. The Deltec is smaller and skims just as much as the BK. The skimate is identical and the Deltec is less then half the price. Since I started running the Deltec the BK skimmer collection cup has been filling up less. That means the Deltec isn't removing anything extra at all rather just splitting the load with the BK. The BK is built better and has an awesome red dragon pump etc.... But all in all for the price I would go with Deltec since performance is exactly the same. Same nutrient export, same dialing in, same breaking down for maintenance.

Hey Adam, how long have you been running the Deltic?

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I ended up with a (used) ATB 840. My tank will be heavily stocked and I think it will perform well.

As for the Deltec, they do look solid, but I don't like that they're using an off-brand DC pump, especially for a brand like Deltec. At minimum, I'd make sure the tank is running on a GFCI circuit and you have a backup pump in case it fails.

I almost went with a Reef Dynamics skimmer, as they have good pumps and reliable designs. The company no longer exists, and I question the support abilities, but the skimmer is priced well, especially now.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0

The BK Super Marin has always been a dream skimmer for me, but it's out of my comfort zone price-wise. It's interesting to see the comparison with the newer Deltec line. I'd pay more for a Red Dragon Pump but I don't know that I'd buy a new BK personally.

By the way, if anyone is interested in a nano-sized skimmer, I've been using the Tunze 9004 for a few years and have been very happy with it. Better than the Aquamaxx/JNS in-tank model, the Tunze 9001, and other similar skimmers.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: