Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Photo Gallery Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2018, 10:44 PM
Reefer Ratings: (53 (100%)
Friends: (27)
E.intheC is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonomo53 View Post
Been running the NYOS 160 for around 2 years and haven't had any issues with it. Pulls good and is dead silent. Haven't used any of the other mentioned skimmers though.
What skimmer did you have before the NYOS? Also how big is your tank?

Elos Midi SPS
90 FOWLR
Old 01-10-2018, 11:02 PM
Reefer Ratings: (37 (100%)
Friends: (1)
STRIPERVIPER is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Reef octopus regal

Just got a regal200s and it’s still breaking in but I love it so far. Super quiet and a controllable dc pump.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:02 PM
Reefer Ratings: (41 (100%)
Friends: (5)
bonomo53 is online now View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.intheC View Post
What skimmer did you have before the NYOS? Also how big is your tank?
Ran a skimz on my old tank and it was a great skimmer but IMO the NYOS is on a whole other level as far as performance and build quality. Currently running in on a reefer 425 which is apox 110 gallon system heavy stocked around 15 fish and mostly sps. The other thing that i considered was that ecotech is support for these skimmers so if i ever need a replacement part i can just call them up and get it within a day or two.

Last edited by bonomo53; 01-10-2018 at 11:05 PM..
Old 01-11-2018, 04:12 PM
Reefer Ratings: (4 (100%)
Friends: (0)
beang is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
icecap k-2 160

First of all, I would like to state that this is an honest review based on a real experience. I do not mean to advertise any product.

I had used icecap k2 160 for my reefer 525xl for the last 4 months up until a few days ago.
Unfortunately, I can not say anything good about it.

It never skimmed consistent and I could never dial it in perfectly.
A lot of micro bubbles always escaped from the outlet and it never had enough density of the bubbles inside the chamber compared to vertex omega 150.
I waited a while thinking that because it is a new skimmer so it may need some time to start performing the way it should be and it never did.

A few days ago, I wanted to clean it up and tried to remove the intake fitting, which is the first step to disassemble the skimmer.
The intake fitting was stuck badly, which is a push in attachment through the hole on the skimmer body to the pump inside.
The air intake nipple on it got broke so easy while trying to twist the in take fitting to loosen it.
Lastly, the bottom of the skimmer cone body, where the screws are attached came off at the glued joint.

Since I couldn't use the icecap skimmer, I decided to put back omega 150 at work, which I used in my smaller tank before I set up the existing tank.
I saw a great difference in its performance within 10 min. than what icecap does.
Foam production and the density of the bubbles inside the chamber much greater than icecap.

It was a huge mistake and waste of money to over look at what I already have in hand.

Last edited by beang; 01-12-2018 at 05:38 PM..
Old 01-11-2018, 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRIPERVIPER View Post
Just got a regal200s and it’s still breaking in but I love it so far. Super quiet and a controllable dc pump.
That's a definite plus with the DC pumps.. they're very quiet. How big is your tank?

Elos Midi SPS
90 FOWLR
Old 01-11-2018, 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonomo53 View Post
Ran a skimz on my old tank and it was a great skimmer but IMO the NYOS is on a whole other level as far as performance and build quality. Currently running in on a reefer 425 which is apox 110 gallon system heavy stocked around 15 fish and mostly sps. The other thing that i considered was that ecotech is support for these skimmers so if i ever need a replacement part i can just call them up and get it within a day or two.
You're right about Ecotech service. It's solid. I like the new Red Sea tanks.. They're slick looking.

Elos Midi SPS
90 FOWLR
Old 01-11-2018, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beang View Post
First of all, I would like to state that this is an honest review based on a real experience. I do not mean to advertise any product.

I had used icecap k2 160 for my reefer 525xl for the last 4 months up until a few days ago.
Unfortunately, I can not say anything good about it.

It never skimmed consistent and I could never dial it in perfectly.
A lot of micro bubbles always escaped from the outlet and it never had enough density of the bubbles inside the chamber compared to vertex omega 150.
I waited a while thinking that because it is a new skimmer so it may need some time to start performing the way it should be and it never did.

A few days ago, I wanted to clean it up and tried to remove the in take fitting, which is the first step to disassemble the skimmer.
The in take fitting was stuck badly, which is a push in attachment through the hole on the skimmer body to the pump inside.
The air intake nipple on it got broke so easy while trying to twist the in take fitting to loosen it.
Lastly, the bottom of the skimmer cone body, where the screws are attached came off at the glued joint.

Since I couldn't use the icecap skimmer, I decided to put back omega 150 at work, which I used in my smaller tank before I set up the existing tank.
I saw a great difference in its performance within 10 min. than what icecap does.
Foam production and the density of the bubbles inside the chamber much greater than icecap.

It was a huge mistake and waste of money to over look at what I already have in hand.
Thanks for the feedback on the Ice Cap. Goes to show how important design and build quality actually are. Vertex skimmer bodies are usually built like tanks.

Elos Midi SPS
90 FOWLR
Old 01-13-2018, 07:59 PM
Skimmer Freak
Reefer Ratings: (84 (100%)
Friends: (74)
NYreefNoob is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
once again get a skimz lolthe first version pump did have some issues for some people but they fixed that. i was one of the first people to own one of their skimmers and had input on some changes with their skimmers. getting the proper size skimmer will do more then the brand name will,
https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum...02-review.html

https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum...er-thread.html

marineland custom 45g all in one cube, nano-box custom led w\2 antic powerbrites. mp10w bm nac5 hob, ac jr controller, bm 3 way doser
Old 01-13-2018, 11:35 PM
I've been paying more attention to the Skimz but I'm not sold yet. Not saying I won't buy one. I hate to say it but I like the Reef Dynamics INS-135. It's got an old but reliable Euro-Reef design with a Sicce 1000 pump. For $240.

Elos Midi SPS
90 FOWLR
Old 01-14-2018, 09:06 AM
OG of this here reef game
Reefer Ratings: (36 (95%)
Friends: (4)
fritz is online now View My Gallery Send a Private Message
I’d go with a deltec. They have extremely solid motors, can be field stripped in seconds without tools and produce almost twice the air draw to water ratios of their competitors. It’s what you’d expect from a German company, really well engineered and reliable.