• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
put your window vista disk in on boot up like you going to install vista for the very first time and when you get to the screen were it say install vista or reapair and recovery go to repair and recovery and hit repair it will scan for a while if it cant fix it will ask you to to a recovery if so do that and it should be fixed then run a virus full system scan.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Nellie, sorry to take this in a different direction, but make sure you save our email address and phone # if you have to reformat :biggrin:

j/k good luck resolving your system problem. :hug:

R

Rating - 100%
164   0   0
If you have access to the internet from another pc download an antivirus boot disk image and burn to a cd (kaspersky rescue disk 2008 worked for me). Start the infected pc and change the bios settings to boot from cd. Insert the boot disk and restart the pc. Follow the instructions and voila (hopefully). I had to try a couple of av boot disks before I found kaspersky, so you might have to try others (google search for av boot or rescue disk) but they work the same way.

ZANYMASTER

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
410   0   0
Norton said it was some backdoor Trojan and it caught it but not good enough I suppose.What good was it that it still got in?I'm still paying for this computer so I'm stuck with it.Might consider Upgrading to 7 but that also has to be a clean install.Upgrades don't run as smoothly as clean installs.

Staaan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Best recommendation I can give you..

Purchase - ESET NOD32 Antivirus

It is hands down the absolute best.

Hackers use this software to protect them selves.. just so you get an idea of its.. errr "epicness"?

Anyway... do your self a favor... I think its only like $60 bucks.

Or if you are computer "savy".. w/e that means, you can always newsgroup and/or torrent it.

I've been using this AV for over 2 years now, and it has caught anything that was ever thrown at it.

Norton, McAfee... and every other "commercial" antivirus is simply abysmal.

*And I used to be the kid that formatted his computer once a month cause I did something to eff it up.

**Going the mac route is a great way to counter-act virus... and if you are looking for something a little different to get out of your PC.. but its a lot of money to "invest"... but it is an "investment", cause they hold their value really well... however don't believe any one that tells you Macs don't get viruses, because there definitely are quite a few Mac viruses out there.. they just aren't common to get.. cause Windows still reigns supreme (population wise)

Last edited:

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Hackers use this software to protect them selves.. just so you get an idea of its.. errr "epicness"?

Nah... we just virtualize all our test/dev platforms nowadays, and just revert snapshots.

If virtualization isn't an option, at the very least sandbox your "suspicious" apps with Sandboxie.

Last edited:

blueink

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
norton is crap n its a sytem resource hog.
i dont think "virtualization" r for your average users. With the Sandboxie free version, at least when I tried it, you are limited to only one sandbox at a time and there is a splash screen after you have been using it for 30 days. It has benefits that many find useful. Sandboxie is great for surfing the "unknown territories" of internet (useful for amature web surfer). however u can still catch a virus if u run an app outside of the box.
For me personally, its more trouble than it was worth. But thats a personal choice.
Re-install doesnt prevent the same thing from happening.
u can go "MAC" but may still encounter virus (but chances r slim), but u will need to learn mac, which u may not want to do, unless you just wanna do the most basic.
Image backup will almost guarantee protection if you cannot clean the virus. heck, sometimes even if you can, it may be less time consuming to just re-image.

Staaan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Nah... we just virtualize all our test/dev platforms nowadays, and just revert snapshots.

If virtualization isn't an option, at the very least sandbox your "suspicious" apps with Sandboxie.

Sandbox is a great option... but thats something definitely more on the level of someone that at the very least, actually knows what newsgroups are. (And trust me.. many people don't.. lol)

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
You guys better start calling it by it's correct name; Mac (not MAC), before the purists comes around and lops your heads off. :lol2:

I have a Mac at home that my wife uses for banking and personal finances. I have a dual node vSphere whitebox and with iSCSI NAS at home as my playground, but at the end of the day, I don't want to start to worry about keyloggers and whatnots. I just recommend Apple to friends and family that ask for a recommendation nowadays. Unless their budget is that tight to a point where they can only afford iPad... so it all depends on your level of comfortability and lifestyle. When I was younger, I was gungho about weekly scans and optimizing HDs, I just wanna watch TV now and play MW2 (Black Ops tomorrow) :lol:

Definitely consider Sandboxie at the very least. It's not encumbersome to use.. just right click the app you want sandboxed, and select RUN SANDBOXED and off you go...

jf2381

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Zanymaster,

When did this happent o you? Was it lastweek around Wednesday or Thursday?

I got home and found two of my laptops and a desktop that way. Windows cannot start up in whatever mode you try. Recovery, repair doesn't work and the C: drive is not accessible.

I haven't had time to troubleshoot the HDD so I installed new OS on new HDD and got my computers working that way.
I will let you know if I find a way to fix it. Re-install might not work unless you format the harddrive.

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Can you guys get to the Recovery Console? If you can, try FIXMBR and see if that'll fix it. If your MBR is corrupted by malware/virus, this should fix it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: