• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

IconicAquariums

Iconic Aquariums
Vendor
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have an itch to get some rare fish for my tank, and I can't order a few fish for myself to fill up a box. I am offering to get a few extra fish to fill up my box if anyone here wants anything. These will be coming direct from the diver. Please research the fish you want before you commit, as some of these require cooler water temperatures. If you need a latin name post here and I will get you one when I get a chance. These would be coming in 2 or 3 weeks.

I am working on the prices with freight and everything. I plan on getting some oddball gobies, a Juvenile Interruptus, and a Joculator for my tank.

Fish that will be available:
Interruptus Angel(Juv or Adult) $550 juv, $500 adult
Joculator Angel $500
Wrought Iron Butterfly $750
Japanese Dragon Moray $450
Pinecone Fish $150
Izuensis Hogfish $200
Blue Stripe Septentrionalis Angel(Juv or Adult) $150 juv, $200 adult
Nippon Butterfly $100
Modestus Butterfly $200
Japanese Stoplight Cardinals(the ones you see in all the Japanese tank threads with the red spot on the tail) $30 8/$200
Glass Cardinals(clear - similar to blue eyes with no markings) $25
Ring Tail Trimma Goby $35
Pot Bellied Sea Horse $200
Ornate Ghost Pipefish $160
Halimeda Ghost Pipefish $95
Blue/Orange Striped Garden Eel $80
Chambered Nautilus $200
Zebra Mimic Octopus $500

There are other things on the list that I can order, but are not suitable for home aquariums. If you feel the need to buy one of these, please post here and I will see what we can do. These animals include deepwater & large crabs, Sharks, Sea Dragons, Jellyfish, Rays, Anemones, etc.

joe

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I believe there is a complete ban on the collection of sea dragons. where are these fish being collected from and by who exactly? is this a commercial operation or just some guy with a net and scuba tank?

Savager

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Wish we can get some fancy Japanese shrimps. I saw few exotic shrimps from Japanese reef tanks from reefcentral not too long ago and it was just amazing.

IconicAquariums

Iconic Aquariums
Vendor
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Aaron, this guy is a professional. The ban was lifted and a certain number are allowed to be collected as far as I know. This company does ship to public aquariums, but as I said I would highly discourage the purchase of these because of their rarity, care requirements, and also price tag. I don' think they should be in the hobby at all FWIW.

Savager, I will look into the small shrimp. I did see a few on another list. I will ask, since I know alot are commensal and actually collected off of corals and echinoderms.

joe

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
just out of interest, where does this guy get his fish from? Australia? or is this a japanese based company diving in japanese waters?

IconicAquariums

Iconic Aquariums
Vendor
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
To be honest on the Sea Dragons I am not positive. They just might go through him. I know the Japanese fish they collect themselves. Not sure on the Dragons, and they're not in stock.

Dean, i'm reading the site, but do not see specific regulations. I believe they are on CITES too.

joe

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
To my knowledge (which is by no means extensive) i thought that sea dragons, Pot Bellied Sea Horses, Ornate Ghost Pipefish and Halimeda Ghost Pipefish were all found exclusively in southern australian waters.
And according to the south australian department of fisheries they can only be collected by permit holder and the permits are only given out for research purposes.
I'lll find the link and post it if your interested.
Gotta get back to work for the moment though.

Barnacle_Blenny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Definately sounds like illegal collection to me I for a fact know that 2 maybe 3 items on that list are a restricted species. Also, one is an endangered species that's if he's collecting them all from the same area.

stingnyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
joe,

does the pinecone fish look like this 1?

pw89183pineconepineapple_fi.jpg

how big are they and are there any live guarantee?

John

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 85.7%
12   2   0
Hmm those prices are actually quite good. I had been looking for a Interruptus Angel for some time they are extremely hard to come by and when I did find one they wanted $1,300.

John

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 85.7%
12   2   0
coming directly from a diver yes I agree the prices are high but not as high as say me buying one online from a store. I guess if you have the ability to get them and people want them you really can charge anything as long as its below retail.

IconicAquariums

Iconic Aquariums
Vendor
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Aaron, please check your references. You can order the Ornates from Bali sometimes. As to the Dragons, we would need special permits to import them, including CITES.
http://filaman.ifm-geomar.de/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=7312
http://filaman.ifm-geomar.de/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=7987

Jimmy, i wouldn't go making accusations without knowing anything regarding this. Everything is legit. This is the last place I'd post it if this was illegal.

As to cost, I have to pay both freight(which is $9/lb) plus packing($25/box), fish & wildlife clearance($120), etc. These prices will cover anything.

Steve, The pinecone is Not the one from LiveAquaria, which is the australian one. These are Monocentris japonicus(japonica). I have tried to research them, but have not had any luck. They do need to be kept ~75f max. They will be around 3-4". Not sure on live guarantee...Still going over details. We can probably work something out if something happens, as they're professionals. I might end up setting a dedicated tank up for some pinecones so might do an order in another few months to get them.

I've seen the RCT ones, which are nice, but only 1/2''. Same with the Resplendens and Colinis from them. I wouldn't spend that much $ on something that small.

joe

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Seadragons are found exclusively in southern australian waters and they are protected by the Australian Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999.
http://www.deh.gov.au/epbc/about/index.html
This act specificlly lists them as a threatened species (because of years of unregulated collection to satisfy the japanese aphrodisiac market) and prohibits their collection for commercial purposes. So i dont see how this guy can be able to get them and sell them. Do you have a link to this guys website? how do you know everything is legit?
I only ask because i am concerned about the Australian Marine environment, if he's got all the permits then that's fine. Its just that Australia has miles of coastline that is hard to police and it seems everyone with a boat and a scuba tank is trying to pull very living thing out of the ocean.

Barnacle_Blenny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
http://www.iucnredlist.org/search/details.php?species=10057

http://www.thecephalopodpage.org/sources.html

Before you go buying Joe you might want to check what your getting. These are just a few quick little links. If I had more time I'd supply more. Sometimes some things are "rare" for a reason and before you buy you should take the time to do the research. Also just because cites is not protecting something yet. We shouldn't make it in our interest to aquire these animals that have dismal survival rates in captivity. That being said, Joe this isn't by any means an attack on you but more of an strong stated opinion of mine when it comes to the lives of wild animals.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: