keethrax

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone (not here) was recently comlaining about the selling of Harlequin Shrimp due to their diets. A reasonable complaint IMO, but that's not what I'm asking about here.

It got me to thinking, would it be pissible to split starfish to clone them?

SpicyBalls

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i believe some starfish are easier to clone then others.. i've heard harlequins to perfer linkias.. not sure how hard those are to clone.. they're pretty hard enough to keep alive... but nice thought.. didn't think of that..

keethrax

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SpicyBalls":1uieroa4 said:
i believe some starfish are easier to clone then others.. i've heard harlequins to perfer linkias.. not sure how hard those are to clone.. they're pretty hard enough to keep alive... but nice thought.. didn't think of that..

I actually was just thinking in general, it was just a harlequin shrimp comment that made me think of it.

I don't think it's a fast enough process to be a feeding solution (especailly if they prefer Linkias), but if slower it could still potentially be used to increase the numbers.

A bit of furhter reading indicates that in some ways Linkia's would be ideal (if you found out how to keep them in the first place) as several sources indicate that they can regenerate without any of the central disc.

I guess the prime factors in wehter this would be a decent idea for just increasing the number of specimines (as opposed to keeping up a feeding supply) would be the survival rate of the pieces, and how thta is affected by the sizes of the piece.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: