junker68

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Hi,

Please take a moment to look at these 2 corals and let me know what they are.
I know they do not appear in great shape. They are a "rescue" and look better than they did a few weeks ago

Thanks in advance,

Dwayne

Attachments

• ID 1.jpg
    ID 1.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 233

junker68

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Thanks.
The hair algae has gotten a little better. I soaked it in Peroxide for abit. I was going to do another dip.
Any advise for getting these guys going or just kinda leave them alone.
Thanks

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Well the fact that the palys haven't melted totally away is a good sign. What concentration of peroxide did you use?

Have u tried a very soft bristle brush to sweep away some of the algae from between the polyps.?

Also may be try some different locations in the tank...maybe it's a waterflow or lighting issue stopping them from opening up.

Hold off on the dip..if it didn't work the first time, I doubt again will do any good.

What kinda conditions did they come from?

Last edited:

junker68

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Thanks Dakota,
50% concentration of peroxide.
No, I'll give the bristle brush a try.
I've tried different locations and the Palys is doing the best where he is, getting indirect water flow and pretty good lighting. Which I was surprised because various care sheets recommend moderate lighting.
Both of them were from a lfs - 40% off - they looked sick when I got them. Thought I would give it a try.
Dwayne

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Years ago and on a previous tank, I got some bad advice on how to combat dinoflaggelates. The author recommended dosing food grade
hydrogen peroxide which is at 35% concentrate. but never mentioned diluting it down to 3%.

Within minutes of the first dose...it was literally belly up for everything except the algae. I wasn't alone...numerous other people sought the authors head for leaving out that very important step in his instructions.

Guess my point is be careful with any action you take..

Are there any signs of life out of them at all...any attempt to open during the day?? No pests that u can see??

I had a small zoa frag that was in a low lying spot and had some algae growing on it...the polyps would open half way or so. Brushed it off and the next day, fully opened.

Last edited:

junker68

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I brushed some of the algae away last night and it does look much cleaner.
I did not realize how durable these guys are. You look at them and they appear to be very fragile, but after a good brushing it appears cleaner.
I'll post another pic in a day or so.
Thanks to all for the advice.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: