P

Pedro

I can't get a decent pic of this guy but i want to know what kind it is. I tell you what he's one tough cookie. I have dipped that rock for nudis in flatworm, iodine, and like a 15minute freshwater bath. The freshwater was excessive, but it didn't kill all the zoos, hopefully it did all the nudis. After all that he's still alive. I guess interceptor is the only thing left. But i want an id before i do anything.

And will the MOD gods not move this to the beginners section, after all we don't have a hitchhikers/Id forum!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
it's a crab all right.

If you have a tall glass (like a pint glass) you could probably catch him. Lean the glass against the rock where he is and put some food in the bottom. He'll climb in to get the food and not be able to climb out. In the morning you can put him in the sump. after you take better pics, of course.

B

SuRFeR BoY

BooSten Audi A4 -Aim
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
might be a gorilla? i am only about 20 percent sure. it looks as if he has regular claws and the tips of his claws arent flat. if this is so then he is prob not an algae eatter so becareful.

SuRFeR BoY

BooSten Audi A4 -Aim
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
gorillas are kind of brown and they have dots on there shells i think? see if he has some dots :D if you go to tampabaysaltwater.com and look at there hitchhiker list, your crab looks similiar to there decorative crabs.. check it out

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Spider Crab? Are you hungry or something. LOL. If this was a spider crab i would be showing you how to cook it instead. I'll see if i can get a clearer pic, but this mofo only comes out at night. Could be a gorilla, but he's pretty small. Also i might add that sometimes i hear like a clicking noise, but not too often.

I'm trying my best to snap in darkness, lol.

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
for a better id try what bad coffee suggested and then you can take awesome pics of it too. if it's safe you could always put it back. if not then you may want to put it in the sump.

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
You know im not sure if this dude will go for that trick. He never ventures far, and he only seems more active at night. As a matter of fact, i have never seen him in plain sight, just peeking.

What i want to know is how he was able to survive the 15 minute freshwater dip, and not try to jump out.

I'm not sure if it's good or bad, all i know is that it's in the same rock as the zoos. If i have to intercept it, i will. I was trying to see the claws, but it's hard to do. In total darkness i was more trying to focus the damn camera more than anything, i was sort of guessing the spot, lol.

deelucky

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
i had dipped my uncured lr in freshwater and a high saltmix and none had helped get out some mud shrimps that were living in there.it wasnt till i pointed a strong power head into the holes that i realized that they survived all i did to my rocks.

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
pedro how about some long tweezers. is the hole really deep?

@ least you know where yours hides. i know there is a big one in my tank. when i redo my rockworck today i'll hunt for that sucker

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
That's true deanos, but they are totally different crabs. Some can live out of the water, stay submerged during low tide, etc. But this was in freshwater, so no matter where he went he would have came in contact.

This guy is really small, so i might just leave the little guy. I mean i have no proof that he's being destructive. If i see the zoos dissapearing, they it's nuke time.

Thanks all for the advice and suggestions.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: