masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I would fill the hole with either epoxy or crazy glue. Not necessarily to kill any potential eggs, but to expedite the regrowth in that area. The flesh will cover the filled in hole faster than it will regenerate new skeleton.

cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
How about that. I was just reading up on this little critter and rather than boring into the coral it somehow manipulates the coral's growth causing the coral to make it a home.

"Gall Crab. Another crab of outstanding interest is the gall crab. When young, it takes up its position in the depression of a coral about to branch, and in some mysterious way controls the growth of the coral so that it forms a gall or pocket around it, openings being left to allow the water to circulate about the crab and to bring to it the food necessary ' for its existence. The galls are inhabited by females only; and the males, which are invariably much smaller, are free to roam about at will."

And from WetWebMedia:

Gall crab 1/13/04
I have what I believe to be a female gall crab living in my closed brain coral. Should she be removed? Thanks much! Jeff Wagner
<they are rarely a problem my friend... the coral will usually grow around them. If your coral exhibits normal polyp cycles and feeding... no worries. Anthony>

So it's apparently commensal, not parasitic.

Last edited:

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Wow, great thread everyone. thanks for taking those pics and posting them--I've never seen anything like it before.

:)

I would fill the hole with either epoxy or crazy glue. Not necessarily to kill any potential eggs, but to expedite the regrowth in that area. The flesh will cover the filled in hole faster than it will regenerate new skeleton.

Good Idea Russ.
I don't like that my coral now has a "peep hole":happysad:

So it's apparently commensal, not parasitic.

Kind of....
But I've noticed the hole getting much bigger & the flesh began to receed around the surrounding area of the burrow (as seen in the pics).
That damage was cause enough to remove the critter.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: