• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

reefRaf

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are these pyramid snails and also is that a baby turbo above the mushroom in the second pic i have alot of those thanks

Attachments

• 100_3494.jpg
    100_3494.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 100_3505.jpg
    100_3505.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

reefRaf

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that's a margarita the stupid little white things on its shell im sure the picture is big enough for anybody to spot so some expert advice is all i asked. thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Woah dude, take it easy! NO one here was being sarcastic. Your thread started with "Is this a pyramid snail" and ended with "is that a baby turbo". I think I can speak for all three of us when we assumed you were talking about the full grown snail in asking if it was a pyramid snail. Hence we gave you the names. Take it easy next time, you asked for help and we were trying to give you genuine help.

reefRaf

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for getting a little crazy thanks for the turbo reply but i was more interested if those little white shells are they pyramid snails and do they eat other snails? thanks again

yiliyang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Those are the parasitic pyramid snails. Get yourself a sixline wrasse to control them. You can try to remove those by hand, but it will be difficult. It should only be a problem if you keep clams in your tank.

Good luck.

reefRaf

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the help ive never had any adult ones in my tank ever the only new things i added are those big mexican turbo snails which are not in the pictures ive posted

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon every one:)(This time Nikibabee can't say that I'm to early, because it is already afternoon in NYC:)...well early afternoon while over here its late afternoon;):joke:Nikibabee:hug:)... I took a brief pause as I'm working on this side of the 200 million year marine puddle

Like mentioned I also believe that the white pyramid shaped snails are pyramid snails as they are gathered arround the mantle of the larger snail, which can indicate that they are feeding on the fluids of the snail by means of their proboscis that punctures the mantle to then sip the fluids. There are other pyramid shaped snails that are not deterimental, the Rissoid snails

here is an article by Dr. Ronald Shimek comparing the Pyramid and the Rissoid snails. Rissoid snails are beneficial, Pyramid snails are detrimental.

As already suggested, you should remove as many as you can by hand picking them now and every time you find more as they do reproduce quite fast and are a pest.This said, you could also be removing Rissoid snails, but like that you will not be taking risks.

Cheers
Pedro Nuno;-)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: