tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
got this on a trade as pink dendro. last shot is a comparison between the pink and the orange/yellow dendros. the pink ones are much smaller than the orange. they did not appear to grow in polyp size nor number of new baby polyps since i got them ~3 months ago whereas the orange ones grew both in polyp size and new baby polyps. they both are fed every day with mysis.
can anyone positively id this?

Attachments

• PC240160a.jpg
    PC240160a.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 541
  • PC240168a.jpg
    PC240168a.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 961
  • PC240169a.jpg
    PC240169a.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 683

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was going to say that might be balanophyllia, however i usually see balanophyllia colonies as a series of completely separated polyps. i may be wrong though.

daaznmofo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
222   0   0
i'm going to side with balanophyllia. i heard they're more deepwater, and polyps open at night more.
imo, feeding doesn't increase the growth rate of dendros. i used to fee them every few days when i first got them, but stopped.

Aquabacs

Azooxanthellae Addict
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Tom,

When they were coming in last 2 years from Australia they were listed as firecracker coral. This was a general description that covered balanophyllia and dendrophyllia. The only real true way to ID it would a polyp would have to be removed and the skeleton bleached.

Now, I would say it is balanophyllia. There are many diferent species of balanophyllia, from single solitary polyp to colonial. You will also notice in this species that the polyps are more oval shape than dendrophyllia.

Here is the picture of my balanophyllia. It was the first one Live Aquaria brought in with CITES and it was ID'd by Kevin Kohen as balanophyllia sp.

IMG_4959.jpg

Mike

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
Hello Tom,

Now, I would say it is balanophyllia. There are many diferent species of balanophyllia, from single solitary polyp to colonial. You will also notice in this species that the polyps are more oval shape than dendrophyllia.

Mike

balanophillia it is then.....thanks for the reply mike.
have yours grown at all since you got them?
i'm very curious how come mine has not shown any sign of growth in the last 9 or so months? i fed them various food almost daily and they appear to eat everything in their reach.:eat: they have a feeding response the exact same way as the orange/yellow dendro's right next door. yet the orange ones had grown in size and number of polyps?!?!?!.

Aquabacs

Azooxanthellae Addict
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
balanophillia it is then.....thanks for the reply mike.
have yours grown at all since you got them?
i'm very curious how come mine has not shown any sign of growth in the last 9 or so months? i fed them various food almost daily and they appear to eat everything in their reach.:eat: they have a feeding response the exact same way as the orange/yellow dendro's right next door. yet the orange ones had grown in size and number of polyps?!?!?!.

IMG_5096.jpg

The coral reproduces asexually by budding as well as (sexual) by planula release. It started out with 4 heads and has grown an additional 4 (including the babies in the last year and a half)

Mike

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: