• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Long ago - when this was quite small - I was told it was a chicken liver sponge. I'm not sure that is accurate.

I need to know as I am upgrading this tank very soon and need to move this ...thing...and would like to do it properly.

It is approx 14" long x 6" wide and a couple of inches thick in places.
The second pic shows the color of it more accurately than the first. It's been growing in the corner of this tank for 2 + years.

Thanks for looking.

P1270013closeup.jpg

P1270008color.jpg

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Cathy, could it be some type of cabbage leather

Interesting thought Andy, but I doubt it. I'll try and get a pic of it tomorrow where it leans against the glass. It is much more sponge-like looking when you see it that way.

Not to worry fcamargo6thave - I would definitely keep it submerged when I move it :)

Simon Garratt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Kathy. only just saw your pm so apologies.

going by your description and the leathery feel, Id say its either a variant of Chondrilla nucula or a closely related family.

sadly i don't think there is much that will touch it bar a certain type of nudibranch whose name escapes me at present.

These liver sponges 'although pleasing to the eye when small' can become a serious problem in some systems, smothering rock-work, reducing flow between the rocks etc, and growing over and smothering corals at a scary rate.

I cant say for certain, but my gut tells me that their growth rate is also closely linked to the availability of water born bacterial populations, with carbon dosing being of particular interest.

I've seen a few people have serious issues with these invasive sponges over here, with the worst case one being a vodka dosed system.

Regards

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Hi Kathy. only just saw your pm so apologies.

going by your description and the leathery feel, Id say its either a variant of Chondrilla nucula or a closely related family.

sadly i don't think there is much that will touch it bar a certain type of nudibranch whose name escapes me at present.

These liver sponges 'although pleasing to the eye when small' can become a serious problem in some systems, smothering rock-work, reducing flow between the rocks etc, and growing over and smothering corals at a scary rate.

I cant say for certain, but my gut tells me that their growth rate is also closely linked to the availability of water born bacterial populations, with carbon dosing being of particular interest.

I've seen a few people have serious issues with these invasive sponges over here, with the worst case one being a vodka dosed system.

Regards
Thanks Simon! :hug: the Chondrilla was the closest match I could find, but none seemed identical in the bazillion pics I researched.

It's been in there for 2 + years and while it is about 14" X 6" now, I can't say that it acts aggesssively (yet anyway). It is only just recently that it began spreading onto the nearest rock.

I would like to keep it when I switch tanks as the color is wonderful and as mentioned it's growing slowly.

Vodka dosing? Only myself dear, not sharing with the tank ;)
I'll try not to spill any in there..lol

New question - since it is growing in the bottom corner of the tank, it is growing against the glass. Other than carefully trying to scrape it off with a razor blade to dislodge it - any other suggestions on how to get it off of there (without killing it, and I KNOW not to expose it to air).

Thanks!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: