• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NanoAquatic

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.5%
364   2   0
I just purchased these tonight, i'm looking at pictures online and the outter part seems to be the same red as the inner which is a little odd. Can someone tell me if these are real or not? If they aren't, what can I do? help?

SAM_0855.jpg

Last edited:

mcnuggget

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's some pics of red hornets:

Attachments

• zoos.jpg
    zoos.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 246
  • webrh_large.jpg
    webrh_large.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 244
  • red_hornet_008.jpg
    red_hornet_008.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 248

NanoAquatic

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.5%
364   2   0
i tried actinics, i tried led on it. tomorrow, i donno, i will try metal halides on it to see if i get that outter red color... anybody have red hornets can tell me how you get that brighter red color on the outside?

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Sorry no. It's called The Ring... not on the zoaid site. It does not have the alternating skirt like Red Hornets. I have the same one... Got it from Knugenx.
NoelsPic010.jpg

Iammatt219

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dude ozoneparkguy, I thought the reason that reefers set up the coralpedia site was taht so everyone cannot create a new name for the same coRAl. If someone wants to name their coral don't you think they shoudl see if the same coral is already named as something on the coralpedia site otherwise anyone could sell anycoral as whatever they want

Last edited:

Iammatt219

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
knugenx, I do not want to start an argument, but all I am saying is that if you are going to name a coral something, shouldn't we as aquarists all be working together to set up a central database so that we get a standard naming setup. which is why when nyreefnoob suggested I check zoaid's site I did just that and e-mailed them a couple of photos asking if they are red hornets. When I got a response from coralpedia they said that they are red hornets

Last edited:

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
HUHH???

dude ozoneparkguy, I thought the reason that reefers set up the coralpedia site was taht so everyone cannot create a new name for the same coRAl.
I AGREE STOPS THE CONFUSION.

Iammatt219 said:
If someone wants to name their coral don't you think they shoudl see if the same coral is already named as something on the coralpedia site otherwise anyone could sell anycoral as whatever they want
ANYONE CAN NAME THEM WHATEVER THEY WANT, IT'S ON YOU. Not saying you in particular. Just a person in general.

Now if you reread the post correctly he thought they were red hornets. They are not. I have the same ones as the poster and gave him the name they were given to me by Knugenx. (I thought the same at one point). Alan from Reef Creations also has these and they are also named The Ring. Just letting the poster know what they are called.

Now if Zoaid(coralpedia) states they are morphs then whoo hoot!!! Then alot of us have them and congrats.

My lighting is under 2 250W PhX 14K DE MH with 4 65W(260w) True Blue Actinics (yes they do look alittle diff) Remember everyone will have diff
looks under diff lighting conditions.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
People always name different Zoas different names, Depends where you go and also where they got them. I got my Eagle eye and watermelon Zoas from a guy who called the green and reds and greens. 20 dollars for 30 plus polyps apiece. Some stores to trans shipping. Where they order a whole bunch of zoas or another coral, that are not highly sought after. The company shipping the corals will then throw in several nice pieces and then you have deep water zoas sitting next to say a regular everyday zoa for the same price. And also give your Zoas a few days to color up.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Scientifically there are no names given to individual color morphs. This means that unless there is a certifying authority, there will not be conformity in naming. Of course, then you would end up paying double for "certified" true zoas.

This even goes on with dogs to a lesser extent. I've seen places calling hybrid dogs (mutts), all sorts of names, and trying to jack up the price by doing so.

I buy corals that I like the look of, and don't know the names for some of them, nor do I care. My dog is a mutt, but a good looking one that comes when I call (most of the time). Life's easier when titles don't matter.

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
BACK TO TOPIC... yes they are indeed RED HORNETS!!!! New addition on coralpedia pics. Congrats to all thoose that have them.!! Lets see now if where i got mine, they jack up the price. I am hoping not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: