George

The only good crab:
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
No, not Marathon Man... THIS thing.

I'm fairly sure it was a hitchhiker on dead branch coral that the mushroom was attached to that I got at the beginners table at the Fall Swap. I would sometimes see very tiny worms protruding from tiny tubes on the dead coral -- so, I figured, "Ok, tube worms." Those bristles aren't visible to the naked eye (at least these old eyes!) -- discovered those after enlarging the pic. Then I was surprised to see, a) one of them outside his tube "walking" on my substrate, and, b) that it was so complex in structure, with arms yet!

The strange hitchhikers that just appear in this hobby amaze me. (An urchin just popped up one day, too!!!) There's no real equivalent in fresh water aquaria.

George

Attachments

• IMGP0001a.jpg
    IMGP0001a.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 164
  • IMGP0004a.jpg
    IMGP0004a.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 163
  • IMGP0006b.jpg
    IMGP0006b.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 163
  • IMGP0007c.jpg
    IMGP0007c.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Reef Safe. It is a mini-brittle star with a couple of missing legs - that seem to be growing back.
Good guys - they eat the food the fish don't get.

George

The only good crab:
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Thanks, Kathy, et al. I didn't know brittle stars could have anything other than a round body. And it didn't even occur to me that the two short arms were simply "growing back" and not two antennae with maybe a mouth in between.

Boy, the old saying, "Things aren't always as they appear," applies in spades given all these alien creatures in this hobby!

George

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: